Is it possible to make metallic hydrogen?

• Thread starter J46537
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrogen
In summary: Borek was making the point that it is possible to make metallic hydrogen under high pressure, but so far no one has been able to demonstrate this convincingly. There is a recent claim from a European group, but there is some controversy about their experimental setup.
J46537
I'm wondering if it is possible to make metallic hydrogen. Metallic hydrogen would be a good thing to have because hydrogen is an excellent fuel source, and since it is; under STP, a gas, having it be in a metallic form would be a great way to carry lots of hydrogen, only with less volume in transportation. The way I see it, it would improve efficiency as a fuel/propellant. I was thinking that since the melting point and the freezing point of a substance are essentially equivalent, it might be possible to make hydrogen gas into a metallic form by lowering the temperature of hydrogen gas to its melting point (-259.14°C). If this theory has any flaws in it, please tell me about them.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I've heard that inside some of the gas planets in our solar system, the pressure is so incredibly high that Hydrogen assumes an unheard of state. That state being "Metallic" Hydrogen, so to answer the question, it is indeed possible. However it requires the pressure of Jupiter. XD

Freezing hydrogen you will get just a solid hydrogen, not a metallic hydrogen (different crystalline structure and different properties). As far as I know so far nobody made a solid, stable metallic hydrogen, and not because of lack of experiments designed to do so - it is just extremely difficult (if at all possible).

sure you can; put it under hundreds of GPa would do the trick.

chill_factor said:
sure you can; put it under hundreds of GPa would do the trick.

That was the point Borek was making (I suspect) - people have put hydrogen under hundreds of GPa, and no one has yet been able to clearly demonstrate that they've produced solid, stable metallic hydrogen. There was a recent claim just last year from a European group that they did so, but there was some controversy about their experimental setup.

I recall a group from Lawrence Livermore (or possibly another DoE lab) had observed metallic fluid hydrogen back in the mid-1990s, but my memory is foggy on the details of that experiment.

1. What is metallic hydrogen?

Metallic hydrogen is a hypothetical form of hydrogen where the electrons are no longer bound to individual atoms but instead form a sea of delocalized electrons, giving the substance metallic properties.

2. Is it possible to create metallic hydrogen?

There is currently no solid evidence that metallic hydrogen has been successfully created, but scientists have been attempting to do so for decades. There have been several claims of success, but none have been scientifically confirmed.

3. What would be the benefits of creating metallic hydrogen?

If metallic hydrogen could be created and maintained under stable conditions, it would have a wide range of potential applications. It could be a superconductor at room temperature, have high energy density for use as a fuel, and potentially be used in new types of propulsion systems.

4. What are the challenges in creating metallic hydrogen?

One of the main challenges is creating the extremely high pressures necessary to force hydrogen atoms into a metallic state. This requires pressures over 4 million times greater than atmospheric pressure. Additionally, maintaining these conditions for extended periods of time is difficult.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with creating metallic hydrogen?

Since metallic hydrogen would be a completely new form of matter, there is a possibility of unforeseen risks and dangers. Additionally, the intense pressures and extreme conditions required for its creation can be hazardous and require specialized equipment and safety measures.