Why Do CRTs and LCDs Commonly Use a 4:3 Aspect Ratio?

• Thread starter karthik3k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, a TV and a monitor have different purposes, with a TV being primarily used for watching shows and movies while a monitor is used for computer work. While a TV can be used as a monitor, it may not have the same high resolution and quick response time. Buzzing noises from a TV or monitor may be caused by interference or a hardware issue. Extended use of screens can cause eye strain, but it is not permanent damage. To clean a TV or monitor screen, use a microfiber cloth and avoid harsh chemicals.
karthik3k
TV, Monitors ? So strange ...

Why is all the CRTs and LCDs in 4:3 ratio in their dimensions ?

Does it have any scientific reasons ??

Physics news on Phys.org
the LCD's has 4:3 ratio in dimensions because the CRTs has this ratio... and the digital camera(except highend DSLR) has 4:3 ratio because all computer monitor has this ratio... but i really have no idea why the CRTs has this ratio, ideally, I think the first person who make Television should use the golden ratio... or 3:2 (normal 35mm film size)...

1. What is the difference between a TV and a monitor?

A TV and a monitor are both display devices, but they have different purposes. A TV is designed for watching television shows and movies, while a monitor is primarily used for computer work. TVs usually have built-in speakers and tuners, while monitors do not.

2. Can I use a TV as a monitor for my computer?

Yes, you can use a TV as a monitor for your computer. However, keep in mind that the resolution and refresh rate may not be as high as a dedicated computer monitor. Also, TVs may have a delay in displaying content, which can be frustrating for tasks that require quick response times.

3. Why is my TV/monitor making a buzzing noise?

This could be due to electromagnetic interference from other electronic devices or a faulty power supply. It is recommended to move the TV/monitor away from other devices and check if the noise persists. If it does, it may be a sign of a hardware issue that needs to be addressed by a professional.

4. Can watching TV/monitor for long periods of time damage my eyes?

Extended use of any screen can cause eye strain, but it is not permanent damage. To reduce eye strain, make sure to take breaks and adjust the screen's brightness and contrast to a comfortable level. Additionally, using blue light filters or wearing blue light glasses can also help.

5. How do I clean my TV/monitor screen?

To clean a TV/monitor screen, start by unplugging it and using a microfiber cloth to gently wipe away any dust or fingerprints. If there are stubborn marks, you can use a soft cloth dampened with water or a specialized screen cleaner. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as they can damage the screen.