What practical skills can I acquire in a physics MS program?

In summary, the most employable skills one can acquire while studying physics are programming, particularly C++ and Fortran, as well as Java and possibly Python, expanding on social/communication skills, improving speed reading abilities, and developing practical skills such as working with optics, circuit boards, and handling dangerous chemicals. Public speaking is also crucial for funding and explaining technical details.
blaughli
I just enrolled in a physics MS program at a smaller state school. I am fascinated with physics and all other areas of science, but I want to get some really practical skills while I'm in this program. What are the most employable skills that one can acquire while studying physics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Programming is very important, if you don't already have a background in it. C++ and Fortran seem to be the two I hear thrown around the most. But once you learn one language, it's pretty easy to pick up another since they're all based on the same concepts, so learning more than those two wouldn't take much and will make you more marketable. Java might be a good idea as well. Python is getting more and more popular in general, but I don't know if it is in the physics market.

I'm learning how to speed read, but that's sort of a personal thing more than a "you need to speed read to get anywhere" thing. I think it will come in handy when I start reading tons of papers a day. It helps with comprehension as well, which is the most important to me.

I would also say try to expand on your social/communication skills. I kind of feel like it might be underrepresented when people ask for the skills they need. You'll likely need to do some public speaking and explain technical details for funding, so if you think you might have issues with that, work on it now.

optics, working with circuit boards, programming, handling dangerous chemicals (for condensed matter studies at least), common software packages, and most of all, public speaking.

1. What are practical skills in physics?

Practical skills in physics refer to the ability to apply theoretical concepts and principles to real-world situations. These skills include conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and using various tools and equipment to measure and observe physical phenomena.

2. Why are practical skills important in physics?

Practical skills are important in physics because they allow scientists to test and validate theories, make accurate observations, and draw meaningful conclusions. These skills also help in the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and astronomy.

3. What are some examples of practical skills in physics?

Some examples of practical skills in physics include using laboratory equipment such as microscopes, oscilloscopes, and spectrometers, conducting experiments to measure physical properties, and using mathematical tools to analyze data and make predictions.

4. How can one improve their practical skills in physics?

One can improve their practical skills in physics by regularly practicing experiments and data analysis, seeking guidance from experienced scientists, and staying updated with advancements in technology and equipment. It is also important to have a strong understanding of theoretical concepts and principles.

5. Can practical skills in physics be applied in everyday life?

Yes, practical skills in physics can be applied in everyday life in various ways. For example, understanding the principles of electricity can help in troubleshooting household appliances, and knowledge of mechanics can aid in fixing bicycles or cars. These skills also help in making informed decisions about energy usage and understanding the natural world around us.