Fluid Mechanics- Pressure on a gate

P with the ground is 90 degreesIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle of a gate and using it to calculate the vertical distance to the centroid and the force of the gate. It also mentions taking a moment at the ground to find the value of P, but there is uncertainty about the angle P makes with the horizontal or vertical, making the answer questionable.
giacomh

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/vXkg0

Homework Equations

Fw=γAH

Ycp=bh3/(12)(h/2)b + (h/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angle of the gate from the horizontal to be 53.1 degrees. Using this, I found y to be 2.5m and H (vertical distance to centroid) to be 6 m (2.5sin(53.1)+4).

I then found Fw=9810*6*(4*5)=1177200N, and Ycp=(4*53)/(12*20*2.5) +2.5=3.33m.

By taking the moment at the ground, I found Fw*(5-3.33)-5P=0, so P= 393kN. My book says the answer should be 523 kN. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
The picture does not show the angle P makes with the horizontal or vertical, so the question looks unanswerable to me. P could be an angle perpendicular to the 5m line or at some angle away from perpendicularity.

I believe that P is supposed to be perpendicular surface (opposing Fw)

1. What is the definition of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, including both liquids and gases, and the forces that act on them.

2. How is pressure defined in fluid mechanics?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area that a fluid exerts on its surroundings. It is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

3. How does fluid pressure affect a gate?

Fluid pressure can have a significant impact on a gate, as it exerts a force on the gate's surface. If the pressure on one side of the gate is greater than the other, it can cause the gate to open or close. Additionally, too much pressure can cause the gate to break or deform.

4. How can the pressure on a gate be calculated?

The pressure on a gate can be calculated using the equation P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force exerted on the gate, and A is the surface area of the gate. This equation is based on the definition of pressure as force per unit area.

5. What factors can affect the pressure on a gate?

The pressure on a gate can be affected by a variety of factors, including the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the size and shape of the gate. Temperature and external forces can also impact the pressure on a gate.