What to do when you're frustrated?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
In summary, the author recommends spending time doing something physical to take their mind off of the problem.
Tyrion101
I'm trying to keep up and study, and learn as much as I can in a very short time frame (few months) and I'm currently banging my head on a couple of things, and am unsure of should I take a brief break and not think about it, or keep at it till I get it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
learn as much as I can in a very short time frame (few months)

Is the short time deadline due only to your own ambition or are you cramming for some sort of exam?

I'm planning on going back to school very soon, I hope to by the next semester, and I want to be as far along as I possibly can before I take the entrance test, so I can skip most of the lower stuff and get right down to the real classes.

I didn't complete college the first time around due to a lot of different factors, that came up and am now wanting to actually get a real degree this time around.

If you are banging your head about something specfic, have you asked about on the forum? Sometimes simply composing a precise question reveals the answer.

lots of times when I'm working on a problem and I run into something where I *know* that it should be simple, I take a break from it. Sometimes for like a whole day. When I look at it the next time I go "oh god how could I have been so stupid".

it's not applicable when I procrastinate though >.>

Tyrion101 said:
I'm trying to keep up and study, and learn as much as I can in a very short time frame (few months) and I'm currently banging my head on a couple of things, and am unsure of should I take a brief break and not think about it, or keep at it till I get it?
In this situation I go back and check where the author introduced the subject I'm hung up on to see if he said something relevant I missed that would unravel the knot. If that doesn't work, I'll start reading completely different authors on the same subject to see if their take is clearer to me.

In any event, I agree with Stephen Tashi that composing the most precise question about what's confusing you is the start of finding the answer.

Sorry if I wasn't completely clear, there are things that come up, like certain multiplication problems that my brain just won't recognize, no matter how many times I have seen the answer, and occasionally get it right, should I just stop, take a break, and come back to it awhile later? Is that clearer?

Tyrion101 said:
Sorry if I wasn't completely clear, there are things that come up, like certain multiplication problems that my brain just won't recognize, no matter how many times I have seen the answer, and occasionally get it right, should I just stop, take a break, and come back to it awhile later? Is that clearer?
Yeah, this sounds like overload and you probably just need a break. Think about something completely different for a while.

when your brain doesn't let you do the simple problems that you know you can do, then you know it's asking for a break. At least that is what I do when that stuff happens.

SHISHKABOB said:
when your brain doesn't let you do the simple problems that you know you can do, then you know it's asking for a break. At least that is what I do when that stuff happens.

I agree. A break, and maybe more sleep.

Tyrion101 said:

Last weekend, I spent 3 hours thinking about a proof in abstract algebra without feeling like I was making any progress.

I grabbed my climbing shoes, chalk bag, and went climbing for about an hour. It completely took my mind off of the problem and required me to focus 100% on what I was doing at the moment. It sort-of "reset" my thinking. The physical activity also helped relieve the tension I was feeling due to frustration. I'll also occasionally hop on the mountain bike and go for a ride.

I recommend exercise, in some form or another. I prefer being outside to in a gym, but to each their own.

When in trouble,
When in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and Shout!

Works for me every time. You'd be amazed how many people offer to help.

Frustration always gets me when I see myself not doing any major progress, especially when you study a field that's so diverse and interconnected, electrical engineering in my case. I get rid of frustration by two methods. The first one, work on a challenging pencil and paper problem, or on actual breadboard circuits, both to provide me with a sense of accomplishment. The second one, go to a mountain/wilderness walk.

For me, the best solution is, as they say, "sleep on it". Take a nap, or even better, put it off until tomorrow after a good night's rest. Whenever I'd pick up something that I'd been working on the previous day, the answers would instantly jump out at me. So, give your mind a rest.

It's weird what rest does, I'd like to thank you all for your advice.

1. What causes frustration?

Frustration can be caused by a variety of factors, such as unmet expectations, feeling overwhelmed, lack of control, or experiencing setbacks or obstacles.

2. How can I manage my frustration?

One way to manage frustration is to practice deep breathing or other relaxation techniques. It can also be helpful to identify and challenge negative thoughts, set realistic expectations, and seek support from others.

3. What impact does frustration have on our health?

Frustration can have negative effects on our physical and mental health, such as increased stress levels, difficulty sleeping, and decreased overall well-being. It can also lead to unhealthy coping mechanisms, such as overeating or substance abuse.

4. Is it normal to feel frustrated?

Yes, feeling frustrated is a normal and common emotion. It is a natural response to facing challenges or obstacles in life.

5. When should I seek professional help for my frustration?

If your frustration is significantly impacting your daily life, relationships, or mental health, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. This could include therapy, counseling, or stress management techniques from a healthcare professional.