Chiral Perturbation Theory : Some quick questions

In summary, the conversation discussed the expansion of the kinetic term involving pion fields, tau matrices, and fine structure constants. It clarified the correct way to write the pion fields and how they relate to the tau matrices. It also addressed the expansion of the term and the importance of correctly labeling dummy indices. Additionally, the conversation touched on the hermitian conjugation of the tau matrices and the trace being over the flavor indices. Finally, it clarified that the fine structure constants are just numbers and do not change under hermitian conjugation.
Hepth
Gold Member
I just want to make sure that I am doing some things correctly. I'll be using
http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys741/xji/chapter5.pdf
from about 5.64 on.

The kinetic term :
[tex]
\frac{f^2}{4} Tr[D_{\mu} \Sigma D^{\mu} \Sigma^{\dagger}]
[/tex]
Now if I want to expand this out, as [itex] \Sigma =e^{i \vec{\pi}^a \cdot \tau^{a}/f}[/itex] (5.64)

Now, first, am I missing something. The pion fields have a vector sign, AND an index, AND are dotted into the generators. Now I assume "a" is the index of the color group, and the pion "vector" is really just a 1-D vector, and so the vector sign is redundant.
Then as the tau is a matrix, and the pion now a scalar, the cdot between them is wrong and it should be implied that it is a normal multiplication and not a dot product.

So it should either be [itex]\vec{\pi} \cdot \tau[/itex] or [itex]\pi^a \tau^a[/itex] with a sum implied. Right?

Now on to the next question:
Expanding it out:
Exp[x] = 1 + i x -1/2 x^2

So knowing that there are matrices and vectors involved, how does it expand:
[tex]
e^{i \pi^a \tau^a/f} = 1 + \frac{i}{f} \pi^a \tau^a - \frac{1}{2 f^2} (\pi^a \tau^a) (\pi^a \tau^a)
[/tex]
or
[tex]
e^{i \pi^a \tau^a/f} = 1 + \frac{i}{f} \pi^a \tau^a - \frac{1}{2 f^2} (\pi^a \tau^a) (\pi^b \tau^b)
[/tex]
or
[tex]
e^{i \pi^a \tau^a/f} = 1 + \frac{i}{f} \pi^a \tau^a - \frac{1}{4 f^2} [(\pi^a \tau^a) (\pi^b \tau^b) +(\pi^b \tau^b) (\pi^a \tau^a) ]
[/tex]
etc. Do i need to add new indices each time I expand it, and how do I keep track of order.
The order will matter as when I take the conjugate transpose for the second term in the kinetic part itll reverse the order of the generators.

This is probably what I'm most stuck on. My lagrangian is more complicated than just a kinetic term and so I want to be really careful about the ordering of the generators.

Question 3:
The trace that is implied is a trace over COLOR (the generators)? Or a trace over dirac structure? Or both? The strong interaction term that appears between heavy mesons and the chiral fields includes a similar trace.

Question 4:
When taking the hermitian conjugate of the fine structure constants does [itex](f^{abc})^{\dagger} = f^{cba} = -f^{abc}[/itex]. Do I change the order of indices thusly, as if it were a matrix?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hepth said:
So it should either be [itex]\vec{\pi} \cdot \tau[/itex] or [itex]\pi^a \tau^a[/itex] with a sum implied. Right?

Right. The idea is that there are three scalar fields, ##\pi^1, \pi^2, \pi^3##, which if we like we can collect into a "3-vector" (not a spatial 3-vector) denoted ##\vec{\pi}##.

Hepth said:
So knowing that there are matrices and vectors involved, how does it expand:
[tex]
e^{i \pi^a \tau^a/f} = 1 + \frac{i}{f} \pi^a \tau^a - \frac{1}{2 f^2} (\pi^a \tau^a) (\pi^a \tau^a)
[/tex]

In general if you have more than two appearances of an index in a factor you're doing Einstein notation wrong. Your last term here is at best ambiguous. You should rename the dummy index from a to something else in the second term in the product.

Hepth said:
or
[tex]
e^{i \pi^a \tau^a/f} = 1 + \frac{i}{f} \pi^a \tau^a - \frac{1}{2 f^2} (\pi^a \tau^a) (\pi^b \tau^b)
[/tex]
or
[tex]
e^{i \pi^a \tau^a/f} = 1 + \frac{i}{f} \pi^a \tau^a - \frac{1}{4 f^2} [(\pi^a \tau^a) (\pi^b \tau^b) +(\pi^b \tau^b) (\pi^a \tau^a) ]
[/tex]

These two are equivalent and both correct. Keep in mind that any index you sum over is a dummy index which can be renamed at will. So ##\pi^a \tau^a## and ##\pi^b \tau^b## are the same matrix. One thing you might try is defining ##A = \pi^a \tau^a## and expanding out exp(iA/f), which should be clearer, and then reinserting the definition of A, keeping in mind that you should write e.g. ##A^3 = (\pi^a \tau^a)(\pi^b \tau^b)(\pi^c \tau^c)## so that its clear what pairs of indices are summed over.

Hepth said:
The order will matter as when I take the conjugate transpose for the second term in the kinetic part itll reverse the order of the generators.

This is pretty easy once you realize a few things. First, the tau matrices are hermitian, so ##A^\dagger = (\pi^a \tau^a)^\dagger = (\pi^a \tau^a) = A##. And in the higher order terms, say the quadratic one ##(AA)^\dagger = A^\dagger A^\dagger = AA##. So hermitian conjugation is easy.

Hepth said:
The trace that is implied is a trace over COLOR (the generators)? Or a trace over dirac structure? Or both? The strong interaction term that appears between heavy mesons and the chiral fields includes a similar trace.

The trace is over the indices of the tau matrices. This is an SU(2) flavor index--not a color index or a Dirac index (we don't have any color or Dirac indices!).

Hepth said:
When taking the hermitian conjugate of the fine structure constants does [itex](f^{abc})^{\dagger} = f^{cba} = -f^{abc}[/itex]. Do I change the order of indices thusly, as if it were a matrix?

The structure constants are just numbers, not matrices. And they are real. So hermitian conjugation does nothing to them. In general, if you write out something's indices explicitly, it becomes a number. Matrices are just quantities with suppressed indices. If you write out all the indices, everything becomes a number.

Last edited:
Thank you. You answered all of my questions. I didn't mean color in the 2nd to last, don't know why I said that. I meant SU(3) flavor. uds

1. What is Chiral Perturbation Theory?

Chiral Perturbation Theory (CPT) is a theoretical framework used in nuclear and particle physics to describe the interactions of subatomic particles at low energies. It is based on the principles of chiral symmetry, which relates to the symmetries of the strong nuclear force.

2. Why is Chiral Perturbation Theory important?

CPT is important because it allows for the calculation of low-energy interactions between subatomic particles, which cannot be accurately described by other theoretical models such as Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD). It is particularly useful in the study of hadronic systems, such as protons and neutrons, and has been successful in predicting the behavior of these particles in various experiments.

3. How does Chiral Perturbation Theory differ from other theoretical models?

One of the main differences between CPT and other theoretical models is that it takes into account the effects of chiral symmetry breaking, which is a phenomenon that occurs at low energies. This allows for a more accurate description of the interactions between particles at these energies, which is not possible with other models such as QCD.

4. What are the limitations of Chiral Perturbation Theory?

One limitation of CPT is that it is only applicable at low energies, and cannot accurately describe high-energy interactions between particles. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, which is an important force at large scales. Additionally, CPT can be difficult to apply in certain scenarios, such as systems with a large number of particles.

5. How is Chiral Perturbation Theory used in experiments?

CPT is used in experiments by providing predictions for the behavior of particles at low energies, which can then be compared to experimental data. This allows for the testing and validation of the theory. CPT is also used in the analysis of experimental data to extract information about the underlying interactions between particles.