Prove if S and T are sets with outer content zero, SUT has outer content zero.

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets Zero
In summary, the problem states that if S and T are sets with outer content 0, we need to prove that SUT also has outer content zero. The outer content, denoted by C(S), is defined as the infimum of the sum of areas of sub-rectangles. The solution involves using the fact that C(S) = C(T) = 0 and the theorem that if a curve has finite length, its outer content is also 0. The solution proceeds by considering the union of all the sub-rectangles for S and T, and showing that their sum is less than any positive number, thus proving that C(SUT) = 0.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Suppose that S and T are sets with outer content 0, prove that SUT also has outer content zero.

Homework Equations

C(S) denotes the outer content.

C(S) = C(T) = 0

Also : [itex]C(S) = inf \left\{{ \sum_{k=0}^{n} A_k}\right\}[/itex] where Ak is the area of one of the sub-rectangles Rk.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want to show that C(SUT) = 0 using the fact C(S) = C(T) = 0. I'm not really sure where to start this one though. First time I've seen anything like it and a quick search yielded no results about outer content at all.

I do have one theorem though. If S is a curve of finite length L, then C(S) = 0. I also figured ( not positive about this ) that C(∅) = 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Attached

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 439
hedipaldi said:
Attached

Hmm I sort of see what you're saying. I'm confused as to why you took your sums and unions up to ∞ rather than to n and then later argued as n → ∞, C(S) or C(T) → 0. So given any positive ε :

We take a set of rectangles R'k such that [itex]T \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{n} R_{k}^{'}[/itex] and if I sum all the rectangles up to n, it will be smaller than (1/2)ε.

We take another set of rectangles R''k such that [itex]S \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{n} R_{k}^{''}[/itex] and if we sum all these rectangles up to n it will also be smaller than (1/2)ε.

So hopefully I'm not mistaken here, but you asked me to consider the union of all the rectangles together.

So we take a set of rectangles Rk such that [itex]S \cup T \subseteq \bigcup_{k=1}^{n} {R_{k}^{'}} \cup {R_{k}^{''}}[/itex] and if we sum all these rectangles, it will be less than (1/2)ε + (1/2)ε = ε.

Yes this what i ment.

1. What is "outer content" and how is it related to sets S and T?

Outer content is a measure of the size or extent of a set. In this context, it refers to the "outer" or overall size of sets S and T. The statement "SUT has outer content zero" means that the combined size of sets S and T is equal to zero.

2. Can you provide an example of sets S and T where their outer content is zero?

Yes, an example would be set S = {1, 2, 3} and set T = {-1, -2, -3}. The outer content of both sets is zero because the sum of their elements is equal to zero.

3. How can you prove that SUT has outer content zero?

To prove that SUT has outer content zero, we need to show that the sum of the elements in sets S and T is equal to zero. This can be done by adding the elements in each set separately and then adding the two sums together. If the final sum is equal to zero, then SUT has outer content zero.

4. Does the order of elements in sets S and T affect their outer content?

No, the order of elements in sets S and T does not affect their outer content. The outer content is only dependent on the values of the elements, not their arrangement in the set.

5. Why is it important to consider the outer content of sets S and T?

The outer content of sets S and T is important because it gives us a way to measure the size or extent of the sets. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as determining the probability of certain events or analyzing data sets.