Temperature drop when expanding heated compressed air

In summary, the temperature drop in compressed air when it expands is caused by the Joule-Thomson effect, where the kinetic energy of gas particles is converted into potential energy during expansion. This can impact the performance and efficiency of systems that use compressed air, and can be controlled by using heat exchangers or preheating the air. Other factors that can affect the temperature drop include initial temperature and pressure, gas type, expansion rate, and external conditions.
Inventrius

Homework Statement

I need to know how much the temperature drops after an inline heater which heats an airflow of 5 lbs/min up to 88 °C with an pressure of 54 PSI. When the air exits the heater it is released into the free air where it is 20 °C.

I know that the air will expand to a bigger volume then, which will lead to a temperature drop. So I need to know how much this drop will be.

Homework Equations

P1 * V1^γ=P2 * V2^γ

T1 * V1^(γ-1)=T2 * V2^(γ-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

γ= 1.4
V1= 5 lbs = 1.853 m3
T1= 88 °C = 361 K
P1= 54 PSI = 3723163.9

P2= 101325 Pa
V2= ?
T2= ?

P1 * V1^γ=P2 * V2^γ
V2 = 4.69447 m3

T1 * V1^(γ-1)=T2 * V2^(γ-1)
T2 = 248 K

This will say that the temperature decreases to -25 °C which sounds like a wrong answer in my opinion.

I also thought to use the ideal gas law with --> P*V= m*Rs*T
But I don't know how I should use it in my case..

Anybody who can give me a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate the temperature drop, we need to use the ideal gas law, which is P*V = n*R*T, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. Since we are dealing with air, we can assume that the number of moles and the gas constant remain constant. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for temperature: T = P*V/(n*R).

First, we need to convert the given values to SI units. The pressure is given in PSI, so we need to convert it to Pascals (Pa). 1 PSI is equal to 6894.76 Pa, so the pressure is actually 3723163.9 Pa. The volume is given in pounds (lbs), so we need to convert it to kilograms (kg). 1 pound is equal to 0.453592 kg, so the volume is actually 0.83817 kg.

Now we can plug in these values into the equation: T = (3723163.9 Pa)*(0.83817 kg)/((1 mol)*(8.314 J/mol*K)) = 346 K.

Since the air is being heated to 361 K and then cooled to 346 K, the temperature drop is 361 K - 346 K = 15 K. We can also convert this to Celsius by subtracting 273.15 from both temperatures, giving us a temperature drop of approximately 15 °C.

In conclusion, the temperature drops from 88 °C to 73 °C after the air exits the heater and expands into the free air. This is a significant drop, so it is important to consider the effects of temperature changes on the performance of the system.

1. What causes a temperature drop in compressed air when it expands?

The temperature drop in compressed air when it expands is caused by the Joule-Thomson effect. This is a phenomenon in thermodynamics where a gas experiences a temperature change when it expands or contracts without any heat transfer occurring.

2. How does the Joule-Thomson effect work?

The Joule-Thomson effect works by converting the kinetic energy of the gas particles into potential energy as the gas expands. This causes a decrease in temperature, as the average kinetic energy of the particles decreases.

3. Why is it important to consider the temperature drop in compressed air?

It is important to consider the temperature drop in compressed air because it can impact the performance and efficiency of certain systems that use compressed air, such as air compressors, refrigeration systems, and gas turbines. It can also affect the quality and accuracy of measurements in scientific experiments.

4. How can the temperature drop in compressed air be controlled?

The temperature drop in compressed air can be controlled by using heat exchangers, which can transfer heat from the compressed air to the surroundings, minimizing the temperature drop. Another option is to preheat the compressed air before expansion, reducing the temperature drop during expansion.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the temperature drop in compressed air?

Yes, besides the Joule-Thomson effect, other factors that can affect the temperature drop in compressed air include the initial temperature and pressure of the compressed air, the type of gas being compressed, and the rate of expansion. Additionally, external factors such as ambient temperature and humidity can also play a role.