Is Magical Thinking Still Present in Our Adult Minds?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between childhood imagination and adult abstract thinking, with some participants stating they never experienced "magical thinking" in their childhood. Others mention the persistence of imaginative play into adulthood and the potential connection between magical thinking and fields like art and science. A researcher also notes that deep mysteries may never be fully understood, despite our attempts to give them names and explanations through models.
Loren Booda
We adults usually think in concrete terms. Would you agree, however, that the majority of our mature abstract thought processes can be related directly to our imagination as a child? How can this association justify the seeming exclusivity of child and adult minds? What magical thinking do you yourself experience nowadays?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
We adults usually think in concrete terms. Would you agree, however, that the majority of our mature abstract thought processes can be related directly to our imagination as a child? How can this association justify the seeming exclusivity of child and adult minds? What magical thinking do you yourself experience nowadays?

I don't see any association with the thoughts I have now compared to those of the past.

I really don't know what you are talking about.

Note: I do realize older people think about their childhood alot. I do too, but not as much, for now anyways.

Let me condense my question by asking: do you all find any link between the imaginative ("magical") thinking of childhood and the abstract thinking of adulthood? I believe that many of the qualities of early cognition develop through mid-stage concrete thinking into a mature hybrid, i. e., abstract reasoning.

I never went through that "imaginitive magical thinking" stage. I've always joked that I was born 53 years old. I always knew the difference between fantasy and reality. I was always very logical and down to earth. A very serious, boring child.

I've always had a playful mind, I was the kid who looked for fairies..and made wings to fly off the garage. Actually I reflect back on it when I hear they have found "little people" and that companies will have flights into space for the common man.
I hope I never stop thinking "magic" thoughts.

My magical thoughts today involve underground dwellings. Think I'll dig a cave in my backyard.
PS I have a degree in anthropology..any connection? hmm well maybe :wink:

Last edited:
How does one actually know they have a playful mind?

A peek into one of the most intriguing childhood mysteries reveals that imaginary playmates are a staple of early development and persist well into the school years -- later than researchers once thought.

"I'm beginning to think it never goes away," said Marjorie Taylor, head of psychology at the University of Oregon and a leading researcher on children's pretend play. "What I think is it morphs into a different form." [continued]

see this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=56040

I am pretty sure that this paper can be found for free online.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9249959&dopt=Citation

geez now I'm going to half to go around and pinch my friends to find out whos real and whos not.

I think that "Magical Thinking" is the heart of both science and art.
Math is very magical thinking, within consensus an entire universe of events is distilled into numeric characters, that are as insubstantial as faeries. Reality is suspended to create a different description, or version on paper, or canvas, or in cyberspace. Magical thinking or viewing is stuff that we all indulge in regardless of how much we try to corral or discipline our "inner child", or "inner mystic", or "inner geeky kid".

I would think that people would be drawn to mathematics to get answers, but in the end after they have practiced maths until they are satisfactorily adept; isn't that when they realize that easy questions have easy answers, and the more interesting and difficult and magical questions, have huge and elusive answers.

I am drawn to the metaphoric, the real, and the insubstantial, and the insubstantiatable. I only regret that my ability to enchant myself with tasks has grown more limited as I grow older.

In the words of a notable physicist: Most physicists avoid most [real] deep issues. In this sense I agree what what you are saying. There is a tendency to mask mysteries with names. Give something a name and it seems like you know what you mean, when in fact in the deepest sense we may understand very little. I think these are the huge, elusive answers to which you refer.

Edit: Funny but I just mentioned this. At the heart of this is the difference between our physical models and the essence of what they describe. Presumably as our models grow more sophisticated we gain more insight to the essence of a thing, but we don't know this to be true and we never will. We can only say that our models predict the correct results so far.

Last edited:

1. What is magical thinking?

Magical thinking is the belief that one's thoughts or actions can directly influence or control external events, despite lack of evidence or scientific explanation.

2. Is magical thinking present in all adults?

While magical thinking is a common phenomenon, it is not present in all adults. It is more prevalent in certain cultures, and can also be influenced by individual beliefs and experiences.

3. What are some examples of magical thinking in adults?

Some examples of magical thinking in adults include superstitions, belief in conspiracy theories, and the idea that certain rituals or behaviors can bring about good luck or ward off bad luck.

4. Can magical thinking be harmful?

In some cases, magical thinking can lead to harmful behaviors or decisions. For example, someone may refuse medical treatment because they believe a certain ritual or alternative remedy will cure them.

5. How can we overcome magical thinking?

Overcoming magical thinking requires critical thinking and a willingness to question one's beliefs. It can also be helpful to seek out evidence and logical explanations for events and outcomes, rather than relying on superstitions or magical explanations.