How to Solve Integrals Using Trig Substitution?

In summary: Good job! In summary, the integral of dx/((9-x^2)^(3/2)) can be solved by first substituting x = 3sinθ and dx = 3cosθdθ, factoring, using a trig identity to convert 1-sin^2θ to cos^2θ, and simplifying to get 1/(9√3) as the final answer. The limits of integration can be found by solving for θ using the arcsin function, or by setting the limits as 0 and π/6. It is also helpful to think about the trigonometric functions in terms of the sides of a right triangle when solving the integral.
KDeep

Homework Statement

integral of
dx/((9-(x^2))^(3/2)) A = 0, B = 3/2

Homework Equations

Trigonometry Substitutions

3. The Attempt at a Solution : I am stuck with this question. So far, I got
(1/9)integral of (1/cos^2(θ)) dθ

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a trig function with derivative sec-squared?

That's my problem. My trigonometry is very limited. I do not know of a Anti-derivative of sec^2θ

KDeep said:
That's my problem. My trigonometry is very limited. I do not know of a Anti-derivative of sec^2θ

What is the derivative of tan(θ)?

the derivative of tan(∅) is sec^2(∅). I get 1/9(tan((sin(∅))) | , Could someone solve the entire problem for me ? and reply with the steps to get there.
This would be a lot of help!

KDeep said:
the derivative of tan(∅) is sec^2(∅). I get 1/9(tan((sin(∅))) | , Could someone solve the entire problem for me ? and reply with the steps to get there.
This would be a lot of help!

That's not right. It's just a little confused. What you need to do is show how you got there and then people can tell you where you are going wrong.

A = 0 , B = 3/2 ∫ dx/((9-x2)3/2)

First I substituted , x = 3sin∅ , dx = 3cos∅d∅

∫ 3cos∅d∅/(32-(3sin∅)2)3/2

Then I factored.

∫ 3cos∅d∅/(32(1-sin2∅))3/2

Then I used the trig identity to convert 1-sin2∅ to cos2θ

∫ 3cos∅d∅/(32cos2∅)3/2

Then I simplified

(1/9) ∫ (1/cos2θ) d∅

Then I anti-derived that into..

(1/9) tanθ | [ I do not know what to do after this, Since it is respect to ∅]

To conclude, I cannot use A and B, Since those are respect to x. I am stuck on this part.

differential equation

Can you tell me how to crack the following problems?:

1) y=2x(dy/dx)-y(dy/dx)2

2) (d2y/dx2)+y=2 cos2(x)+sin(3x)

KDeep said:
A = 0 , B = 3/2 ∫ dx/((9-x2)3/2)

First I substituted , x = 3sin∅ , dx = 3cos∅d∅

∫ 3cos∅d∅/(32-(3sin∅)2)3/2

Then I factored.

∫ 3cos∅d∅/(32(1-sin2∅))3/2

Then I used the trig identity to convert 1-sin2∅ to cos2θ

∫ 3cos∅d∅/(32cos2∅)3/2

Then I simplified

(1/9) ∫ (1/cos2θ) d∅

Then I anti-derived that into..

(1/9) tanθ | [ I do not know what to do after this, Since it is respect to ∅]

To conclude, I cannot use A and B, Since those are respect to x. I am stuck on this part.

Pretty good. You've got both thetas and phis floating around there. Intended to mean the same thing, I hope. One way to do it is the find the theta limits, since you substituted x=3*sin(θ) you just need to solve 3/2=3*sin(θ) and 0=3*sin(θ). If you want to eliminate the trig functions altogether you can solve for theta using the arcsin function. θ=arcsin(x/3). There's also a way to simplify tan(arcsin(x/3)). Any of this sounding familiar?

ammus said:
Can you tell me how to crack the following problems?:

1) y=2x(dy/dx)-y(dy/dx)2

2) (d2y/dx2)+y=2 cos2(x)+sin(3x)

That has nothing to do with this thread. You really need to start a new one.

Ok that's what I was going for.

So tan(sin-1(x/3))

(sin-1((3/2)/3)) is ∏/6 right?

1/9 (Tan (∏/6) - Tan(0)) ? Am I on the right track?

KDeep said:
Ok that's what I was going for.

So tan(sin-1(x/3))

(sin-1((3/2)/3)) is ∏/6 right?1/9 (Tan (∏/6) - Tan(0)) ? Am I on the right track?

That's exactly right. It's also good practice to think about how you might express tan(θ) in terms of x. Since sin(θ)=x/3 and sine=opposite/hypotenuse draw a right triangle with opposite side length x and hypotenuse length 3. Then figure out the length of the adjacent side. Now tan(θ)=opposite/adjacent.

Yeah thanks for the tip.

So the answer is 1/(9√3)? Am I correct?

KDeep said:
Yeah thanks for the tip.

So the answer is 1/(9√3)? Am I correct?

Yes, it is.

1. What is Trig Substitution?

Trig Substitution is a technique used in integration to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function or expression for a variable in the integral.

2. When should I use Trig Substitution?

Trig Substitution is typically used when the integral involves expressions with sqrt(a^2 - x^2), sqrt(x^2 + a^2), or sqrt(x^2 - a^2). It is also useful when the integrand contains a quadratic expression in terms of sine or cosine.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integral. For sqrt(a^2 - x^2), use x = a sin(theta). For sqrt(x^2 + a^2), use x = a tan(theta). And for sqrt(x^2 - a^2), use x = a sec(theta). It is important to choose the substitution that will cancel out the square root term and simplify the integral.

4. Are there any other techniques for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are other techniques such as Integration by Parts, Partial Fractions, and Trigonometric Identities. However, Trig Substitution is specifically used for integrals involving trigonometric functions and can be a more efficient method in those cases.

5. Can Trig Substitution be used for definite integrals?

Yes, Trig Substitution can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When using Trig Substitution for a definite integral, be sure to adjust the limits of integration to match the new variable, and then evaluate the integral as usual.