Limit of the Euler totient function

In summary, it appears that the function may not be continuous at certain points, but the limit still exists.
henpen
My question is relatively breif: is it true that

[tex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\varphi(n))=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(n) \cdot \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}(1-\frac{1}{p_i})[/tex]
Where [itex]p[/itex] is prime? Pehaps [itex]\varphi(n)[/itex] is too discontinuous to take the limit of, but it would seem that as it increases to infinity the function should tend to infinity, with fewer anomalies.

If this were true,

[tex]\displaystyle \zeta(1)=\frac{1}{ \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}(1-\frac{1}{p_i})}=\frac{1}{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{\varphi(n)}{n})}=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{n}{\varphi(n)})[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
henpen said:
My question is relatively brief: is it true that

[tex]\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\varphi(n))=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(n) \cdot \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}(1-\frac{1}{p_i})[/tex]
Where [itex]p[/itex] is prime? Pehaps [itex]\varphi(n)[/itex] is too discontinuous to take the limit of, but it would seem that as it increases to infinity the function should tend to infinity, with fewer anomalies.

If this were true,

[tex]\displaystyle \zeta(1)=\frac{1}{ \prod_{i=1}^{\infty}(1-\frac{1}{p_i})}=\frac{1}{\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{\varphi(n)}{n})}=\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(\frac{n}{\varphi(n)})[/tex]
Let ##\mathfrak{P}_n## be the set of all distinct prime divisors of a number n.
Consider that ##\displaystyle \varphi(n) = n \prod_{i=1}^{\sharp\mathfrak{P}_n}\left[1-\frac{1}{p_i}\right]##, where ##\sharp\mathfrak{P}_n## is the cardinality of ##\mathfrak{P}_n## and ##p_i## is the ith element of ##\mathfrak{P}_n##. As n increases, its number of prime factors tends to increase, but this trend is in no way strictly true for individual numbers. An example of a relatively large number that does not have a large number of prime factors is 87178291199, which has only one prime factor. :tongue:

Thus, using basic properties of limits, your formula should be correct.

The problem I has was that if particular numbers are 'discontinuous' from the general trend, you can't take the limit, even if the general trend tends to infinity.

henpen said:
The problem I has was that if particular numbers are 'discontinuous' from the general trend, you can't take the limit, even if the general trend tends to infinity.
Consider a function ##f: \mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}\cup\left\{Tootsiepop\right\}##, where, for ##x\in\mathbb{R}##, ##f(x)=\left\{\begin{array} , x , x\neq2 \\ Tootsiepop , x=2 \end{array}\right.##

As x approaches 2, f(x) approaches 2. However, f(2)=Tootsiepop.

This is not a continuous function, but the limit as x approaches 2 is defined. So, I don't understand what you mean...

The example cleared up a lot, thanks. I've little formal experience with limits.

1. What is the Euler totient function?

The Euler totient function, also known as Euler's phi function, is a mathematical function that counts the positive integers up to a given number that are relatively prime to that number. In other words, it counts the number of positive integers less than or equal to a given number that do not share any common factors (besides 1) with that number.

2. What is the formula for the Euler totient function?

The formula for the Euler totient function is φ(n) = n * (1-1/p1) * (1-1/p2) * ... * (1-1/pk), where n is the given number and p1, p2, ..., pk are the distinct prime factors of n.

3. What is the significance of the Euler totient function?

The Euler totient function has many important applications in number theory and cryptography. It is used in the RSA encryption algorithm, which is widely used in secure communication and online transactions. It also helps in solving various mathematical problems, such as finding the number of reduced fractions with a given denominator and determining the order of elements in a group.

4. What is the limit of the Euler totient function?

The limit of the Euler totient function is equal to the given number as n approaches infinity. This means that as the number becomes larger and larger, the proportion of positive integers that are relatively prime to it becomes closer and closer to 1. In simpler terms, as the number gets bigger, there are fewer common factors shared with other numbers, resulting in a higher value for the Euler totient function.

5. How is the Euler totient function related to the prime factorization of a number?

The Euler totient function is closely related to the prime factorization of a number. As seen in the formula, it involves multiplying 1 minus the inverse of each distinct prime factor. This means that the value of the Euler totient function is affected by the number and size of the prime factors of a given number. For example, a number with more and larger prime factors will have a smaller Euler totient value.