Can I trap a gas in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle capcap?

• Thread starter algar32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer Gas
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of trapping a gas, specifically neon, in a beer bottle with a bottle capper to create a homemade plasma ball, also known as a Tesla ball. The individual plans on using a circuit similar to one built into a light bulb and is seeking advice on the practicality of filling the bottle and if a bottle cap will provide a sufficient seal. Concerns are raised about the feasibility of putting an electrode inside the bottle and the bottle's darkness potentially hindering visibility. Alternatives are suggested, such as drilling holes in the bottle and sealing them, and using a commercial plasma globe for the desired effect. Safety concerns are also discussed, including potential glass breakage and high voltage electricity. Overall, the conversation centers
algar32
Can I trap a gas in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle capcap??

I would like to trap neon gas in a beer bottle with a bottle capper. My goal is to build a plasma ball (tesla ball) in a beer bottle so I can have corona in my corona :P.

I plan on building the tesla coil into the bottom of the cap, so that I can pop it on and be good to go. I am planning on using a circuit similar to this one built into a light bulb (which already has the gas trapped in it): http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_plasma_globe.htm

At this point I really just need to know if there is a practical way of filling the bottle and if a bottle cap will provide a sufficient seal. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Probably - depends on the gas, and the bottle cap.

Simon Bridge said:
Probably - depends on the gas, and the bottle cap.

I would be using a standard beer bottle cap (probably try to recycle a corona cap or just use a new one). I think I hear neon can be used as one of the primary gases in plasma balls. Suppose it was just neon, do you think I would be able to easily accomplish my goals? Thanks.

Two reasons why I don't think it will work.

First, you need to put the electrode inside - and I don't see it being done through a metal cap sealed with a rubbery layer.

Second, bottle is relatively dark, so whatever happens inside will be barely visible outside.

Other than that, if we are talking about pressures similar to those in the light bulb (in the range of 0.7 atm), there should be no problem, as the bottles are designed to stand some pressure from carbon dioxide (although working in the opposite direction).

Borek said:
Two reasons why I don't think it will work.

First, you need to put the electrode inside - and I don't see it being done through a metal cap sealed with a rubbery layer.

Second, bottle is relatively dark, so whatever happens inside will be barely visible outside.

Other than that, if we are talking about pressures similar to those in the light bulb (in the range of 0.7 atm), there should be no problem, as the bottles are designed to stand some pressure from carbon dioxide (although working in the opposite direction).

I am not sure I fully understand your concern with the electrode... I was planning to cut away some of the rubber in the middle of the cap if I had to.

Your second concern about the bottle darkness shouldn't be a problem because I will be using a corona bottle with clear glass (I may be misunderstanding your concern though).

Thanks for your feedback.

algar32 said:
I am not sure I fully understand your concern with the electrode... I was planning to cut away some of the rubber in the middle of the cap if I had to.

Then you will have to seal the cut. Doable, but if you are going to additionally seal it, why bother with using a cap that will no longer look like a cap?

Your second concern about the bottle darkness shouldn't be a problem because I will be using a corona bottle with clear glass (I may be misunderstanding your concern though).

OK. Somehow I always drink beer from dark brown or green bottles. Never thought about it before :smile:

I would try to cheat it by using something else in the neck to actually do the seal and put a normal cap on afterwards.

I'd consider running the wires for the electrodes through another part of the bottle - the base (so you can have your bottle standing upright) or the side (so the bottle will be displayed lying down) ... hide the wires and leads, stain the inside amber too - simulate beer, and it will look like a normal corona bottle ... at first glance, then you switch it on.

This does mean finding a way to drill holes in the glass (hint: carefully - and put tape over the drill spot first) and then sealing them up afterwards.

Put the gas in the bottle via the neck, ram whatever sealant you are using in there than you can cap it normally.
You may want to collect a dozen or so bottle to, you know, practice on, ... the following evening...

I don't think there is anything intrinsically stopping this from working.
OTOH: the instructions on that site sound dicey - take care aye?

And post pics.

-------------------------------

Aside: I'm guessing this one was stopped for moderation due to safety concerns?

Simon Bridge said:
Aside: I'm guessing this one was stopped for moderation due to safety concerns?

Yes. And we are still watching the thread.

Safety concerns have been discussed already? Shall we make then explicit for the sake of anyoe who googles here.

I figure - possible glass breaking, and high voltage electricity being the main ones.
The actual discharge being considered is quite small.

There's probably a better/safer way to get a corona in a corona ...

Simon Bridge said:
There's probably a better/safer way to get a corona in a corona ...

:rofl:

... sadly not my joke - was made in post #1.

One could put a bottle of corona beer in a Toyota Corona?

... <crickets>
Somehow - that does not have the same "cool" factor.

Would it be good enough just to fill a corona bottle with neon and make the neon glow by proximity to a commercial plasma globe?

No?

Mind you, I can imagine getting a Toyota Corona body, sealing it (hard work I know), filling it with argon or something and running a couple of high voltage leads... don't look at me like that: it's art I tell you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I will keep you guys posted. This should be interesting :)

1. Can I use any type of bottle cap to trap a gas in a beer bottle?

No, you cannot use any type of bottle cap. The bottle cap must have a tight seal to effectively trap the gas inside the bottle. Ordinary bottle caps may not create a tight enough seal.

2. What type of gas can be trapped in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle cap?

Any type of gas can be trapped in a beer bottle, as long as the bottle cap creates a tight seal. However, it is important to note that some gases may react with the beer or the materials in the bottle, so it is important to use caution when experimenting.

3. How do I properly trap a gas in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle cap?

To trap a gas in a beer bottle, first make sure the bottle is completely empty and clean. Then, add the gas into the bottle using a funnel or other method. Finally, quickly place the bottle cap on top and make sure it creates a tight seal. You may need to use a rubber mallet to secure the cap tightly.

4. How long can a gas be trapped in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle cap?

The length of time a gas can be trapped in a beer bottle will vary depending on the type of gas, the amount of gas, and the quality of the seal created by the bottle cap. In general, the gas should be able to remain trapped for at least a few hours.

5. Is it safe to trap a gas in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle cap?

In most cases, it is safe to trap a gas in a beer bottle with an ordinary bottle cap. However, as mentioned before, some gases may react with the materials in the bottle. It is important to use caution and research the gas you are using before attempting to trap it in a beer bottle. Additionally, make sure to handle the bottle carefully to avoid any potential accidents.