Oldest piece of the planet Earth.

In summary, the article discusses a recent discovery of the oldest bit of Earth, a tiny speck of crystal dating back 4.4 billion years. The discovery was made using the radioactive dating method, specifically looking at the ratio of uranium to lead in the crystal. This method is also used to determine the age of other minerals, such as zircon crystals. However, it is not suitable for dating organic matter due to the short half-life of carbon-14. The article also mentions the Canadian Shield, a region with many rocks dating back to billions of years. Lastly, the conversation veers off-topic with discussions about pop-up ads and alternative web browsers.
GENIERE
A speck of crystal is the oldest bit of Earth found according to this article:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,152930,00.html

How in the world (pun intended) does one set out looking for the oldest bits?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
GENIERE said:
How in the world (pun intended) does one set out looking for the oldest bits?

It's the usual radioactive dating method. You look for crystal structures that are known to have radioactive elements in them and then you look at the ratios of the product and the original radioactive element. In this case, Zircon crystals have uranium incorporated into their structure, so if you look at the ratio of uranium to lead (the decay product) in the crystal, you can determine roughly how long its been since the crystal was formed.

Come to Canada. The Canadian Shield (the place is lousy with it - you can't spit without hitting it) is 4 billion years old.

As much as I love geology, even to me, the prospect of going to see "A tiny speck of zircon crystal that is barely visible to the eye" seems somewhat silly. I'd much rather take a trip to see the Canadian Shield as Dave suggests.

Are there any other molecules that are this old or is it just the one molecule?

I tried to go to the site, and got bombarded with spam pop-ups. That site sucks

What radioactive element would they use to determine the age of something that was 1 million years old, or 1 billion?. I know carbon 14 is used for carbon dating but the half life for that is like 5700 years. Would there be a measurable amount left after such a long amount of time?

Huck

Huckleberry said:
What radioactive element would they use to determine the age of something that was 1 million years old, or 1 billion?. I know carbon 14 is used for carbon dating but the half life for that is like 5700 years. Would there be a measurable amount left after such a long amount of time?

Carbon-14 is better for much shorter timescales (such as for anthropology). There would be very little of the radioactive parent left after millions or billions of years (remember, exponential decay). For longer timescales, they use things like uranium and potassium-40.

misskitty said:
Are there any other molecules that are this old or is it just the one molecule?

It's much bigger than a molecule (a small shard of crystal) and I'm sure that there are many more rocks that old. However, we can only date them if they contain radioactive elements, so for most rocks, we wouldn't know if they were very old.

Just to clarify, the Rubidium-Strontium method is used to date minerals. Carbon dating is used for organic matter.

Let's say that carbon dating needs carbon and can be used for instance to date limestone as well. However, since the halftime of radioactive 14C is only 5700 years, the dating range is limited to about 50,000 years.

hypatia said:
I tried to go to the site, and got bombarded with spam pop-ups. That site sucks

GET MOZILLA
it is free and popup free tooo
[if you turn on the popup blocker]
you will not see a popup

when I clicked to that foxnews site
I saw no popups at all

:approve:

1. What is the oldest piece of the planet Earth?

The oldest piece of the planet Earth is a zircon crystal found in Western Australia, which is estimated to be 4.4 billion years old.

2. How was the age of the oldest piece of the planet Earth determined?

The age of the oldest piece of the planet Earth was determined through radiometric dating, specifically uranium-lead dating. This method measures the decay of radioactive elements in a sample to calculate its age.

3. Why is the oldest piece of the planet Earth important to scientists?

The oldest piece of the planet Earth provides valuable information about the formation and evolution of our planet. It can also give insights into the early conditions and environments on Earth.

4. Are there any other contenders for the title of oldest piece of the planet Earth?

Yes, there have been other rocks and minerals found that are believed to be around the same age as the zircon crystal in Western Australia. However, the zircon crystal is the most widely accepted and studied oldest piece of the planet Earth.

5. Can the oldest piece of the planet Earth be found anywhere else?

The oldest piece of the planet Earth was found in Western Australia, but similar rocks and minerals have been discovered in other locations around the world. These findings support the theory of a global process of early Earth formation.