Problem with voltage regulator

In summary: y t-dude :smile: not its not ... its never safe to assume anythig in electronics... always test, measure and in this case check the datasheet
Tesladude
So I need to use this LM117t 3.3v voltage regulator and I asumed the pins were the same as most regulators where you have in/ground/ and out. But it is not working that way, does anyone know the in and outs of this regulator or have an alternative?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hey t-dude :smile:

not its not ...
its never safe to assume anythig in electronics... always test, measure and in this case check the datasheet

LM117T-3.3

page 3 gives the pin out configuration for the various package forms

the output as you will see is the centre pin

hope that's helpful :smile:

cheers
Dave

lm117 is an adjustable regulator. It works by generating an output voltage such that the voltage at the reference input (what was ground in a fixed output regulator) reaches 1.25V. So it you have R1/R2 divider with equal values the output will go to 2.5V producing 1.25V at the "center" pin. If you connect the output to the reference input you will get 1.25V.

The datasheet that davenn linked to is for an LM1117 (different number, 3 1's) that is a family of fixed output regulators.

that's interesting as it was also saying 117 at that page

LM1117T-3.3 - LM1117 3.3V Low Drop-Out Voltage Regulator
Technical Information - National Semiconductor LM117T Datasheet

I wonder if the TD typoed and was meant to say LM1117t-3.3 and not the 117t-3.3 that he did ?
cuz he was pretty specific with the rest of the info. he wasnt referring to setting up an adj regulator huh

so I will stick with the info I gave till TD reports back in

MY BAD!

Lm1117t!

The datasheet also says ground output input and I just tried that and i am getting the exact same output as I have input (9v)

show me a pic of you circuit digram and also a pic of your actual construction
to see if you boo boo'ed :)

that V-reg is different pinned to the LM78xx series fixed regulators where the GND pin is the centre pin

Dave

those are the 2 ten caps shown in datasheet circuit

Attachments

• 100_2213.jpg
    100_2213.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 498
Hi TD

through the dark blurryness :wink: it looks ok
assuming you have put the electro caps in the correct way around ?

you didnt have this connected incorrectly originally did you ?
your opening comment
So I need to use this LM117t 3.3v voltage regulator and I asumed the pins were the same as most regulators where you have in/ground/ and out
indicates you probably did. you may have damaged the regulator, do you have another one to try ?

Dave

1. What is a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is an electronic device that is used to maintain a constant output voltage in a circuit, regardless of fluctuations in input voltage or changes in load.

2. What causes problems with a voltage regulator?

Problems with a voltage regulator can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty components, incorrect wiring, power surges, and overheating.

3. How can I tell if my voltage regulator is malfunctioning?

Signs of a malfunctioning voltage regulator include fluctuations in output voltage, dimming or flickering lights, and overheating of the regulator itself.

4. Can a problem with a voltage regulator damage my electronic devices?

Yes, a faulty voltage regulator can cause damage to electronic devices by providing too much or too little voltage, which can lead to overheating or short circuits.

5. How can I fix a problem with a voltage regulator?

The first step in fixing a problem with a voltage regulator is to identify the cause of the issue. This may involve checking connections, replacing faulty components, or adjusting the regulator's settings. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the regulator entirely.