Shaping time on my amplifier alters the gamma energy registered?

In summary: However, it is possible that the software assumes a certain time distribution of the signals and this assumption is not correct for your shorter shaping time. This could lead to an overestimation of the energy value.
abotiz
Hi,

My understanding of shaping time on amplifiers is that its the amount of time the capacitor has to collect charge. I would say that the longer the time the better energy resolution you would have due to that all the charge created from the photon is collected. However, if the time is long enough, that would mean that another electrons energy created from another photon interaction could add up. Following this, the amount of counts (or pulses I can seperate) decreases. Almost like the effects of dead time on a GM-tube.

But when I tried this to prove that this was the case, I got somewhat different results.

Sure I registered more counts with shorter shaping time, 0.5usec, when compared to 12usec. And the FWHM was better with a longer shaping time.

But the energy for the peak was affacted.

With 0.5usec the peak was at 345keV (kilo electron volts) and with 12usec the peak was at 280keV. My guess was that with longer shape time the photons would add up, so the peak would be like 600keV.

Any ideas?
Thank you very much!

Iam working with a scintillation detector btw.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How did you modify this time?
How did you get your energy value?

I would expect some calibration issue.

I have what some calls a NIM-Bin which supplies electricity to some units, I used a High Voltage supply and amplifier which can be seen in the attached image.

I got my energy through an MCA connected to a software on my laptop, a gamma spectrometry software.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20130829_150117.jpg
    IMG_20130829_150117.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 473
abotiz said:
I have what some calls a NIM-Bin which supplies electricity to some units, I used a High Voltage supply and amplifier which can be seen in the attached image.

I got my energy through an MCA connected to a software on my laptop, a gamma spectrometry software.

Thank you
1. What type of radioactive source you used for this exp?
2. I assume your scintillation detector (NaI) is connected to a charge preamplifier and you are using traditional energy spectroscopy (MCA)-Pulse height analysis method where the measured energy is directly proportional to the pulse amplifier amplitude.
3. Is these two measurement (0.5u & 12 us) are using the same amplifier gain setup? & Is your MCA system is properly calibrated? It look wired coz 1 would expect the peak energy would not varied that much or the 0.5us shaping time would produce lower energy peak since your amplifier will reached peak too soon.

Hi,

1) Almost two years ago, I can't recall the radioactive source used for this setup.

2) Yes

3) Everything is the same, except for the shaping time.

I know that longer shapping time should increase the centroid channel for the peak, maybe 10 keV (for NaI due to PM-tube increases the deviation) at most due to complete charge collection or addition of non relevant event from another interaction from different photon. But is there something else that might affect this?

Maybe someone who has more or less the same setup could try this?

Thank you

The calculation of the energy might make some assumptions about the time-distribution of your signals. If this assumption is wrong (e. g. if it assumes a lower peak and a larger tail), a shorter time can lead to a higher reconstructed energy.

Thank you,

However I did not understand your post compelety about the time aspect time. Are you talking about Wilkinson-type ADC?

I just set up the same experiment today, this time with Cs-137, and pretty much the same result with a different NaI, preamp and new Nim-Bin ( with HV and Amplifier).
Energy 662keV with shaping time 4µs,
With shaping time 0.5µs the peak almost went outside the spectrum, energy around 2.5MeV
For 12µs the full energy abpsorption peak was around 80keV.

I can add that the dead time of the system was not high, around 10%.

Thank you

mfb said:
How did you get your energy value?
As long as we don't know how your software calculates the energy values, it is just speculation.

1. How does shaping time on my amplifier affect the gamma energy registered?

Shaping time on an amplifier refers to the duration for which the signal is integrated or "shaped" before being measured. This shaping time can affect the gamma energy registered because it determines the resolution and sensitivity of the measurement. A longer shaping time allows for better resolution but may decrease sensitivity, while a shorter shaping time may increase sensitivity but decrease resolution.

2. What is the ideal shaping time for measuring gamma energy on an amplifier?

There is no one "ideal" shaping time for all measurements, as it depends on the specific needs and goals of the experiment. Factors such as the type of detector, the energy range of interest, and the desired resolution and sensitivity all play a role in determining the appropriate shaping time. It is important to carefully consider these factors when selecting a shaping time for your amplifier.

3. Can I adjust the shaping time on my amplifier during a measurement?

In most cases, it is not advisable to adjust the shaping time during a measurement. This can introduce errors and inconsistencies in the data and can also damage the amplifier. It is best to carefully select and set the shaping time before starting the measurement.

4. How does the shaping time affect the accuracy of the gamma energy measurement?

The shaping time can affect the accuracy of the measurement in two ways. Firstly, a longer shaping time can improve the resolution and thus the accuracy of the measurement. However, if the shaping time is too long, it can also introduce pile-up errors and decrease the accuracy. Secondly, a shorter shaping time may decrease the resolution and sensitivity, leading to less accurate measurements. It is important to find the right balance between resolution, sensitivity, and accuracy when choosing a shaping time.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of gamma energy measurements besides shaping time?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the accuracy of gamma energy measurements. These include the type and quality of the detector, the stability of the amplifier, and any external factors that may introduce noise or interference. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors in order to obtain accurate gamma energy measurements.