Is the derivative of 0, 0 in this case?

• Thread starter aygonzalezm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the function f(x) is defined as x^2 sin (1/x) when x≠0 and 0 when x=0. The derivative of f(x) is found to be 2xsin(1/x)-cos(1/x) for x≠0 and 0 for x=0. However, this approach only works for this specific function and may not always give the correct answer. The derivative at a point depends on the behavior of the function around that point, and it is important to consider the limit definition to ensure accuracy.
aygonzalezm
1. Let f(x)= {x^2 sin (1/x) when x≠0 and 0 when x=0

2. Find f'(x). Does it exist for every x? (Hint: the case when x=0 needs special attention)

3. What I did is, I found the derivative of x^2 sin (1/x). That is, 2xsin(1/x)-cos(1/x). Then I figured the derivative of 0 is just 0 since its a constant. So I left it that way, as a piece-wise function. It seems too easy to be true. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
aygonzalezm said:
1. I found the derivative of x^2 sin (1/x). That is, 2xsin(1/x)-cos(1/x). Then I figured the derivative of 0 is just 0 since its a constant. So I left it that way, as a piece-wise function.

When you say "the derivative of 0 is just 0", you are no longer in any way talking about the derivative of f(x) (as given in your problem). The derivative at a point depends on what your function is doing very close to that point as well. By "calculating" the derivative of f at zero the way you have, you're ignoring the properties of f AROUND zero.

What happens when you try to calculate the derivative at zero using the limit definition? (<-- try this) As it turns out, the derivative actually does exist everywhere. However, this isn't always the case.

For example, if you were to try doing the same thing with
g(x)=xsin(1/x) for x≠0 and g(0)=0,
you would get in trouble. This function is NOT differentiable at zero, even though its derivative exists everywhere except x=0, and g(0)=0.

This function g is nearly identical to f, and illustrates why your approach, although it got you the correct answer this time, does not always.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a derivative to be 0?

When the derivative of a function is 0, it means that the rate of change of the function at that particular point is 0. In other words, the function is not increasing or decreasing at that point.

2. Is the derivative of 0 always 0?

No, the derivative of 0 is not always 0. It depends on the function and the point at which the derivative is being evaluated. However, in this case, when the derivative of 0 is being evaluated at the point 0, the result will always be 0.

3. Why is the derivative of 0, 0 in this case?

In this case, the function is a constant function, meaning it has a constant value of 0. When the derivative of a constant function is calculated, the result is always 0. Therefore, at the point 0, the derivative of the function is also 0.

4. Can the derivative of a function be 0 at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have multiple points where the derivative is 0. This can occur when the function has a flat portion or a horizontal tangent at multiple points.

5. How is the derivative of a function related to its graph?

The derivative of a function is related to its graph in that it gives information about the slope of the function at different points. When the derivative is 0, it indicates a flat portion or a horizontal tangent on the graph. When the derivative is positive, it indicates an increasing function, and when it is negative, it indicates a decreasing function.