Maximizing Your I.Q: The Impact of Memory and Concentration on Intelligence

• Thread starter xsgx
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of I.Q and its connection to memory and concentration. The participants express their opinions on the validity of I.Q tests and their frustration with the frequency of I.Q related discussions. It is suggested that I.Q threads should be banned, and some members express their curiosity about how I.Q scores of historical figures are estimated.
xsgx
When it comes to your I.Q how big of a factor does memory play,and what about concentration?

If you have an amazing memory and you can recall most of the information you previously learned with ease,then it will be really easy for you to do well on a test or tackle new concepts that are related to what you have all ready learned because you have built the base of that concept in your mind and it will be really easy to build up from there,especially if you have an amazing memory.

And if you have the ability to stay concentrated for long periods of time without losing interest or focus combined with a great memory it will be easy for you to understand almost any concept with the right amount of time and work contributed to learning that concept.

So what we call "I.Q" can really just be boiled down to having a great memory accompanied with a great concentration.

I know there are things on I.Q tests that measure fluid intelligence like pattern recognition,but things like that can be learned with time.

Just want peoples opinion on this subject.

I know it's not well written,but i was in a hurry to write this.

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very few people actually are administered IQ tests. The games online that call themselves IQ tests, are not IQ tests.

Yes, there are aspects to the IQ test that could be "learned" or improved on, which is why the actual tests are not online (Although I am sure someone could find all or parts. I'm sure someone has them uploaded), and they are administered by a licensed psychologist. They will tell you to stop an exercise if you take too long.

This must be the 10 millionth IQ thread. How many people want to ban IQ threads? :smile:

Last edited:
Evo said:
How many people want to ban IQ threads? :smile:

I vote to ban them (maybe we should do a poll?). I don't understand why people are so fixated with IQ scores.

I'd love to know how the IQ of famous historical figures is "estimated". My guess is some guy just pulls them out of his a$$ to entice people to take his bogus online IQ test.

It was a simple question.I'm curious of what people think about the validity of i.q tests.

If you don't like I.Q threads don't post in them.Simple as that.

xsgx said:
It was a simple question.I'm curious of what people think about the validity of i.q tests.

If you don't like I.Q threads don't post in them.Simple as that.

Not exactly - we do have some say. There are many topics we don't discuss because they are futile. IQ threads could very well land on that pile.

Do a search, you'll discover how many times it's been discussed here.

Seems like a good place to stop.

1. What is "I.Q." and what does it stand for?

"I.Q." stands for Intelligence Quotient, and it is a measure of a person's cognitive ability or intelligence. It is typically measured through standardized tests and is used to compare an individual's intelligence to others of the same age group.

2. How is I.Q. measured?

I.Q. is measured through standardized tests, such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) or the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales. These tests assess a person's cognitive abilities in areas such as verbal comprehension, perceptual reasoning, working memory, and processing speed.

3. Is I.Q. an accurate measure of intelligence?

I.Q. is a controversial topic in the scientific community, with some arguing that it is a valid measure of intelligence and others arguing that it is too narrow and does not take into account other important aspects of intelligence, such as emotional intelligence. However, it is widely used and accepted as a measure of cognitive ability.

4. Can I increase my I.Q.?

There is no clear consensus among scientists on whether or not I.Q. can be increased. While some studies have shown that certain interventions, such as educational programs or brain training exercises, can lead to temporary increases in I.Q., there is no evidence that these increases are permanent.

5. Is I.Q. the only factor that determines success in life?

No, I.Q. is not the only factor that determines success in life. Other factors such as emotional intelligence, social skills, and motivation also play important roles. Additionally, factors such as socioeconomic status, access to education and resources, and opportunities can also greatly impact a person's success in life.