Hall Effect: No hall voltage in a Copper sample.

In summary, the Hall Effect is a physical phenomenon in which a magnetic field causes a voltage difference across a conductor. It is not observed in non-magnetic materials like copper, but it has significant applications in scientific research and is measured by applying a magnetic field perpendicular to the current and measuring the resulting Hall voltage.
RedMech
I have been carring out an experiment in which I have to measure the hall voltage in two samples given to me, which are Bismuth and Copper. The Hall voltage values of Bismuth come out as expected but when I measure hall voltage in the copper sample, I do not get any changes in the hall voltage, even when current through the sample is incresed. Why is this this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason may depend on your experimental procedure. Please specify a publication that describes the procedure you are using.

1. What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a physical phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to an electrical current causes a voltage difference across a conductor.

2. Why is there no hall voltage in a Copper sample?

Copper is a non-magnetic material, meaning it does not have any intrinsic magnetic properties. Therefore, it does not experience the Hall Effect.

3. Can the Hall Effect be observed in non-magnetic materials?

No, the Hall Effect can only be observed in materials with magnetic properties, such as iron or nickel.

4. What is the significance of the Hall Effect in scientific research?

The Hall Effect has a wide range of applications in scientific research, particularly in the study of magnetic fields and the behavior of electrons in conductors. It is also used in the development of sensors and electronic devices.

5. How is the Hall Effect measured in a material?

The Hall Effect is measured by applying a magnetic field perpendicular to the direction of the electrical current and measuring the resulting voltage difference across the material. This voltage is known as the Hall voltage.