AC circuit, voltage expressed by time

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the impedance in a circuit where a voltage source and current are given as expressions including time. To solve this, the expressions are converted to phasor form, and the usual phasor manipulations are used to find the impedance. The resulting impedance is 100Ω∠-60°, indicating that the circuit is capacitive as the voltage lags the current by 60°.
Mutaja

Homework Statement

A voltage source e(t) = 50 sin(2000t + 30°) V supplies the current i(t) = 0.5 cos(2000t) A in a circuit. Find the impedance in the circuit, in both polar and rectangular form. Is the circuit inductive or capacitive?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a problem here, right of the bat I'm not used to seeing voltage and current being given as an expression including time. Well, in AC circuits, that is. I've looked through my book, but I can't find any examples on this.

There isn't much work to show here as I'm confused as to where I should start.

I RMS involved? I picture a sinus wave with current and voltage waves, that's where that idea came from.

Any input, at all, would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider how much simpler life would be if both the voltage and current were expressed in terms of the same trig function...

gneill said:
Consider how much simpler life would be if both the voltage and current were expressed in terms of the same trig function...

So I can convert the cosine to sine, or vice versa. I'm just confused by the whole expression for some reason.

The voltage and current is expressed by time. Given that I understand that, which frankly I don't, how can I use that to find the impedance?

What I understand about the expressions is that you can read the values of the current or voltage at a given time. I assume I can use this to find the RMS value, or average value.

The idea is to convert everything to phasors. Then the usual phasor manipulations will be at your disposal.

gneill said:
The idea is to convert everything to phasors. Then the usual phasor manipulations will be at your disposal.

So e(t) = 50 sin(2000t + 30°) -> e(t) = 50 cos(2000t + (30° - [itex]\frac{∏}{2}[/itex]))
In phasor form this is 50 ej(1/2 - ∏/2 which is 50V ∠1.07°

i(t) = 0.5 cos(2000t) in phasor form is 0.5 ej0 which translates to 0.5A∠90°

Am I onto something here? I'm fully aware there will be mistakes here even if I've gone though my numbers twice. I'm not used to these calculations.

That's the right idea. Check your angle calculations. pi/2 is 90°, so 30° - 90° is not likely to be 1.07°. Also, e0 does not yield an angle of 90°. What's e0 numerically?

gneill said:
That's the right idea. Check your angle calculations. pi/2 is 90°, so 30° - 90° is not likely to be 1.07°. Also, e0 does not yield an angle of 90°. What's e0 numerically?

e(t) = 50 sin(2000t + 30°) -> e(t) = 50 cos(2000t + (30° - ∏/2))
In phasor form this is 50 ej(1/2 - ∏/2) which is 50V ∠-60°

i(t) = 0.5 cos(2000t) in phasor form is 0.5 ej0 which translates to 0.5A∠0°

Z = [itex]\frac{V}{I}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{50V∠-60°}{0.5A∠0°}[/itex] = 100Ω∠-60°

The circuit is capacitive since the voltage lags the current by 60°.

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit, or alternating current circuit, is an electrical circuit that carries a current that periodically reverses direction. This type of circuit is commonly used in household electricity and is characterized by a sinusoidal voltage waveform.

2. How is voltage expressed by time in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, voltage is typically expressed by a sine wave graph, where the y-axis represents voltage and the x-axis represents time. The wave shows the alternating pattern of the voltage as it changes over time.

3. What is the frequency of an AC circuit?

The frequency of an AC circuit is the number of cycles or periods per second at which the voltage waveform repeats itself. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is typically 60 Hz in most household circuits in the United States.

4. How does voltage affect the behavior of an AC circuit?

Voltage is the driving force in an AC circuit. As the voltage increases, the current in the circuit also increases, and as the voltage decreases, the current decreases. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

5. What are some common applications of AC circuits?

AC circuits are used in a variety of applications, including power distribution, lighting, motors, and electronic devices. They are also used in devices such as radios and televisions, where the changing voltage creates a signal that can be converted into sound or images.