Solving for Unknown Current in RC Circuit: Understanding Capacitor Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem involving voltage and current. The participant is able to solve for a and c, but struggles with understanding how to solve for b. They initially try using a current divider, but it does not give the correct result. The participant mentions considering finding the voltage of the capacitor, but is unsure due to missing information. They also discuss the meaning of "u" in equations and how to solve for i1 at different time intervals. In the end, they realize a mistake in their initial approach and are able to rectify it.
dwn

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for a and c.

a: 300V / (300Ω) = 1 A
c: 120V / (200Ω) = 0.6 A

what I don't understand is how they solved for B (0.6A), considering the current is 3A provided by the capacitor.

I initially tried to use a current divider, but that didn't give me the correct result.
Since the capacitor acts as a voltage source, I considered trying to find the voltage of the capacitor, v = Ve(-t/RC), but the value of C is not given.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 12.45.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 12.45.16 PM.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot view the image. Try re-uploading it

Hopefully it will work now.

Do you know what the 'u' means in the equations?

u is the identifier for unit step function.

if I have an equation X=u(t), that mean X=0 when t<0, and 1 when t>=0

so if iC=3u(-t). iC=3u(-t) when t<=0, and iC=0 when t>0

Yes, I was aware of that. That's how I solved the for a and c. For part b we are to solve for -0.5 second, which means that neither voltage sources are active, and the only source comes from the capacitor (3 amps). Correct?

so by 'a' you mean you're solving for i1 at t=-1.5?
if that is the case, then your method of solving the problem is incorrect, and you happened to get the correct answer.

at t=-1.5:
Va=0
Vb=0
iC=3
you use current division to find i1
i1=iC*100/(100+200)=1A

same with C:
at t=1.5
vA=300
vB=-120
iC=0

write a kvl
vA-100*i1+vB-200*i1=0
i1=0.6 A

at t=-0.5:
vA=300u(t-1) since t-1=-1.5, vA=0
vB=120(t+1) since t+1=0.5, vB=-120
iC=3u(-t) since -t=0.5, iC=3

Oh wow, I think I was jumping to conclusions and just got lucky. I see the mistake now, thank you very much! Thought I was doing right thing since the answer just happened to work out that way. Wish the textbook wouldn't do that, set's one off in the wrong direction! haha

you're welcome. Mistakes will always happen. The important thing is to rectify them!

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit made up of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected together. It is used to control the flow of electric current and is commonly found in electronic devices.

2. How does an RC circuit work?

An RC circuit works by storing and releasing electric charge through the interaction between the resistor and the capacitor. The resistor limits the flow of current and the capacitor stores the charge, which can then be released at a later time.

3. How do you calculate the current in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and the equation for capacitive reactance (Xc = 1/2πfC). The current is equal to the voltage divided by the total resistance of the circuit (including the resistor and the capacitive reactance).

4. How does the current change in an RC circuit over time?

In an RC circuit, the current will initially be high as the capacitor charges up. As time goes on, the current will decrease until it reaches a steady state where the capacitor is fully charged and there is no more current flowing through the circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have many practical applications, such as in filters, timing circuits, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in electronic devices to regulate and control the flow of current.