Understanding Diode Circuit Analysis: Common Confusions Addressed

If it is then you can get the current through D1 and the voltage across D1 if you want. Otherwise D1 is not conducting and you have to go back to the drawing board.In summary, the assumption that a diode is reverse biased means it acts as an open circuit, while a forward biased diode acts as a short circuit. This is why they are sometimes modeled as switches. In this problem, the voltage across a diode can be determined by making assumptions and evaluating the circuit. If the assumption is incorrect, a different assumption must be made.
influx
zzzztht.png

I have just started studying this topic and I am confused about several things.

1) Why does the assumption that D1 is reverse biased mean it is modeled as a switch? Are reverse biased diodes always modeled as a switch?
2) Also, why does the assumption that D2 is forward biased means it can be modeled as above?
3) Where did they get V = 7V from?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
zzzztht.png

1) Why does the assumption that D1 is reverse biased mean it is modeled as a switch? Are reverse biased diodes always modeled as a switch?
2) Also, why does the assumption that D2 is forward biased means it can be modeled as above?

Thanks

1) A reverse biased diode is an open circuit and a forward biased diode is a short circuit. Doesn't that sound like a switch to you?
2) I don't even understand the question. A forward biased diode is a short circuit and they have shown it as a short circuit. What is it you don't understand?
3) Uh ... what's 10 minus 3?

influx said:
zzzztht.png

Thanks

2. When a diode is in forward conduction mode it has a voltage drop that is relatively independent from the current through the device. This voltage drop is sometimes approximated as zero (a short circuit).

3. typically for solving multiple diode problem you make a guess as to whether the diodes are conducting or not. you then evaluate your circuit model to figure out if your guess was correct. In this case with 7 volts across diode 1, it would have to be conducting. Therefore you know that your initial guess was wrong, you will have to make another guess and evaluate the circuit again.

phinds said:
1) A reverse biased diode is an open circuit and a forward biased diode is a short circuit. Doesn't that sound like a switch to you?
2) I don't even understand the question. A forward biased diode is a short circuit and they have shown it as a short circuit. What is it you don't understand?
3) Uh ... what's 10 minus 3?

donpacino said:
2. When a diode is in forward conduction mode it has a voltage drop that is relatively independent from the current through the device. This voltage drop is sometimes approximated as zero (a short circuit).

3. typically for solving multiple diode problem you make a guess as to whether the diodes are conducting or not. you then evaluate your circuit model to figure out if your guess was correct. In this case with 7 volts across diode 1, it would have to be conducting. Therefore you know that your initial guess was wrong, you will have to make another guess and evaluate the circuit again.

I didn't know that a forward biased diode is a short circuit and that a reverse biased diode is an open circuit. Thanks :)

I'm still confused why its 7V across diode 1 though? Why do we do 10-3 ?

Also, how do you know whether to assume whether a particular diode is forward biased or reverse biased?

influx said:
I didn't know that a forward biased diode is a short circuit and that a reverse biased diode is an open circuit. Thanks :)

This is only true of ideal diodes, of course. Real diodes have non-ideal characteristics

I'm still confused why its 7V across diode 1 though? Why do we do 10-3 ?
We do 10 - 3 because it has 10v on one side a 3v on the other side. Just look at the circuit.

Also, how do you know whether to assume whether a particular diode is forward biased or reverse biased?

You don't. That's one of the points of your original problem. You make an assumption and see if the circuit can support the assumption. If it can then you have a solution. If it can't, as in your original problem's assumption, then you don't and you have to try another assumption.

Since the original assumption didn't work, what assumption would you make next?

phinds said:
You don't. That's one of the points of your original problem. You make an assumption and see if the circuit can support the assumption. If it can then you have a solution. If it can't, as in your original problem's assumption, then you don't and you have to try another assumption.

Since the original assumption didn't work, what assumption would you make next?

Assume the opposite for each diode. Cool.

phinds said:
We do 10 - 3 because it has 10v on one side a 3v on the other side. Just look at the circuit.

Maybe I am missing something basic but I am failing to see how how that yields the voltage across D1?

influx said:
Maybe I am missing something basic but I am failing to see how how that yields the voltage across D1?

I am at a loss as to how to explain that. There is 10V on one side of the diode and 3V on the other side. Draw all the voltages in the circuit.

If D2 is conducting the 3V source appears across the 6K resistor. So there you have 4K and D1 in series, and there is 10V on one side and 3V on the other. Note the polarity and work out if D1 is conducting.

What is a diode circuit analysis?

A diode circuit analysis is the process of studying and analyzing the behavior of electronic circuits that contain diodes. It involves understanding the characteristics and properties of diodes, as well as the effects they have on the overall circuit performance.

Why is diode circuit analysis important?

Diode circuit analysis is important because diodes are fundamental components in many electronic circuits. Understanding how diodes work and their impact on circuit behavior is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices.

What are the basic components of a diode circuit?

The basic components of a diode circuit include a diode, a power source, and a load. The diode serves as a one-way valve for current flow, the power source provides the voltage, and the load is the device that the circuit powers.

What are the different types of diode circuits?

There are several types of diode circuits, including rectifier circuits, clamping circuits, voltage multiplier circuits, and clipper circuits. Each type has a specific function and is designed for a particular application.

What are some common applications of diode circuits?

Diode circuits have numerous applications, such as power supplies, signal rectification, voltage regulation, and frequency conversion. They are also used in electronic devices like computers, televisions, and mobile phones.