Moment of Inertia for a Solid Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with finding the correct moment for a sphere with a constant mass density. After exploring various formulas and assumptions, the conclusion is that the incorrect use of the variable "r" was causing the error. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help in solving the issue.
Norman
So I am having an issue getting the correct moment here. Although this isn't homework, I thought this would be the best forum for the issue.
So... I=r^2dm Assuming a const mass density: I=p r^2 dV, (p=mass/volume). For a sphere the natural choice of
dV = r^2 dr d(omega). So this leads to:
I=4(pi) p r^4 dr . Let's say that the sphere has a radius b.
Therefore: I=4(pi) p b^5/5, with p=m/(4/3 pi b^3)
This gives me a final answer of I=3/5 m b^2, which is according to ever text I have looked at (Serway, Halliday/Reznik) incorrect.
The supposed correct answer would be: I=2/5 m b^2
I should be able to do this but I seem to be unable to find the assumption that is leading to my error. Something is tickling the back of my mind from my undergrad years telling me there is a subtle point I am missing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Norman

So... I=r^2dm Assuming a const mass density: I=p r^2 dV, (p=mass/volume). For a sphere the natural choice of
dV = r^2 dr d(omega).
The r means different things in each of your formula; don't mix them up. In I=r^2dm, r means distance from the axis of rotation; in dV = r^2 dr d(omega), r means distance from the center.

Ahhhhhh...

Yes of course. So now this is one ugly looking integral. Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a solid sphere?

Moment of inertia for a solid sphere is calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * MR^2, where M is the mass of the sphere and R is the radius.

3. Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it is used to determine an object's angular acceleration and the amount of torque needed to cause rotational motion. It also helps in understanding an object's stability and its ability to resist changes in its motion.

4. How does the moment of inertia change for a solid sphere with varying mass and radius?

The moment of inertia for a solid sphere increases as the mass and radius of the sphere increase. This is because the farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the more difficult it is to change its rotational motion.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a solid sphere be negative?

No, the moment of inertia for a solid sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.