Stuck in a Long Hours Rut: My Story of Survival

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, Ivan is a system integrator for industrial automation and is currently on-site at a customer's site. He has been working non-stop for about 20 days straight and is looking forward to a weekend break. He is concerned about his own well-being and that of his co-workers.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I really love what I do, but right now I'm stuck in one of the worst modes that goes with the turf: 16 hrs+ a day, seven days a week, and no immediate end in sight. :yuck:

I'm getting too old for this. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
what exactly do you do that is so time consuming

He writes essays on the genitalia of barnyard animals.

How long 'til retirement?

zoobyshoe said:
He writes essays on the genitalia of barnyard animals.
I guess the tricky part is getting the animal to hold still.

oh jeez, 16 hours a day..thats way WAY to much. People have been known to go crazy... see things like wild flocks of wild birds drinking pop or cats dancing pagan style with deers in the fields!

Math Is Hard said:
I guess the tricky part is getting the animal to hold still.
Hah Hah! I didn't see that interpretation when I posted. :)

Ivan Seeking said:
I really love what I do, but right now I'm stuck in one of the worst modes that goes with the turf: 16 hrs+ a day, seven days a week, and no immediate end in sight. :yuck:

I'm getting too old for this. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I guess you'll just have to suffer through the big crunch until the Big Crunch. :smile:

blimkie said:
what exactly do you do that is so time consuming

I do systems integration for industrial automation; that is, when I'm not writing essays on the genitalia of barnyard animals...

I got a break! I was on-site today and the electricians aren't even done yet. :rolleyes:

Is there anyway to prove the true identity of the poster? As far as I can tell Ivan has vanished. Could it be that Tsu has buried him along side the deer? Could she be hiding a heinous crime? Is she making these posts to delay discovery? I am thinking about dropping in, but what if she gets me also? Ivan, is it really you? What do you have to say about a green apple martini?

Integral said:
Is there anyway to prove the true identity of the poster? As far as I can tell Ivan has vanished. Could it be that Tsu has buried him along side the deer? Could she be hiding a heinous crime? Is she making these posts to delay discovery? I am thinking about dropping in, but what if she gets me also? Ivan, is it really you? What do you have to say about a green apple martini?

:rofl: Sorry Integral. For what it's worth, Tsu never sees me either...but then she prefers it that way. :biggrin: Hopefully, only one more weekend and I'll be getting past things. The last few weeks have been nuts: I get up, walk to my office, and sit in front of my computer for about 16 hours straight...I haven't even been stopping to eat. It has been about 20 days straight now...as near as I can remember. :yuck: On the plus side, the customer is going to love their new system. :approve:

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: Sorry Integral. For what it's worth, Tsu never sees me either...but then she prefers it that way. :biggrin: Hopefully, only one more weekend and I'll be getting past things. The last few weeks have been nuts: I get up, walk to my office, and sit in front of my computer for about 16 hours straight...I haven't even been stopping to eat. It has been about 20 days straight now...as near as I can remember. :yuck: On the plus side, the customer is going to love their new system. :approve:
Sure Tsu, that's what you keep telling us...

now WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH IVAN?

ps looking forward to getting together again! :rofl:

hypatia said:
oh jeez, 16 hours a day..thats way WAY to much. People have been known to go crazy... see things like wild flocks of wild birds drinking pop or cats dancing pagan style with deers in the fields!
:rofl: <wipes tears from her eyes> :rofl:

Evo said:
:rofl: <wipes tears from her eyes> :rofl:

I don't think that's funny at all! :grumpy:

Now, I'm going back to watching my turkeys do the hussle. :tongue:

1. What inspired you to write "Stuck in a Long Hours Rut: My Story of Survival"?

I have personally experienced the negative effects of working long hours and feeling stuck in a rut. I wanted to share my story in hopes of helping others who may be going through a similar situation.

2. How do you define a "long hours rut"?

A long hours rut is a situation where an individual is consistently working long hours, often without breaks or time for self-care, and feeling like they are stuck in a cycle with no end in sight. This can lead to burnout, decreased productivity, and negative effects on physical and mental health.

3. What are some signs that someone may be in a long hours rut?

Signs of being stuck in a long hours rut may include feeling exhausted and drained, having trouble disconnecting from work, experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches or muscle tension, and feeling unfulfilled or disconnected from personal relationships.

4. What advice would you give to someone who is currently stuck in a long hours rut?

I would advise them to take a step back and assess their current situation. It is important to prioritize self-care and set boundaries to avoid burnout. It may also be helpful to seek support from a therapist or career counselor to explore alternative options and make a plan for change.

5. How can employers help prevent their employees from getting stuck in a long hours rut?

Employers can promote a healthy work-life balance by encouraging breaks and providing resources for stress management. They can also prioritize workload distribution and offer flexible work options. Creating a positive and supportive work environment can also help employees avoid getting stuck in a long hours rut.