Protecting Endangered Species & Viruses: Research Topics

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of choosing a research topic for an English class. The individual is considering writing about endangered species, but becomes interested in viruses and the possibility of using them as evidence for natural selection and evolution. They also mention wanting to engage their classmates in debates on the topic. A website with examples of research topics is also provided.
zeronem
I have to write a research paper for my English Class. I have chosen to do Research on Endangered Species. My research Topic is, "Are we doing a sufficient job of protecting Endangered Species?". I have gathered information from lots of places.

Though, recently I became interested in viruses. I was wondering if it were possible to write a research paper on viruses. Like for instance my research topic would be, "Do viruses prove Natural Selection to be correct?" Or "Do viruses prove Evolution is true?". Since I have been doing some reading on Viruses that Mutate within a host, and viruses that Evolved. My idea is that the Mutation of a Virus is hard core proof that Evolution is true. That viruses may be non-living, but its the fact that viruses carrie DNA and RNA, thus these are the main ingredients needed to evolve. I believe that maybe they are the fastest in Evolution even though they are not living, but there DNA changes depending on the host. This would be reason there are so many different strains of viruses. Could this be a good research topic?

We are also going to have to read about our research topic infront of the class, and I was hoping I could get the class fired up for debates and lots of responses from them. Is the research topic appropriate? I understand other people have religions, but Debating on it should be legal especially in a class room.

Heres a site that has examples of research topics to understand more from what I am coming from: http://www.public.asu.edu/~jmeyer/topics.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why the hell would you post this in a physics site?

Its in a homework help thread. I don't see any problem with it.

1. What is the importance of protecting endangered species and viruses?

Protecting endangered species and viruses is crucial for maintaining biodiversity and preventing the spread of infectious diseases. Endangered species play an important role in the ecosystem and their loss can have a cascading effect on other species. Viruses can also have a devastating impact on human and animal populations if not properly managed.

2. How does research help in protecting endangered species and viruses?

Research is essential in understanding the threats faced by endangered species and viruses, as well as developing effective strategies for their protection. It helps identify the root causes of their decline and allows for the development of targeted conservation efforts. Research also aids in the development of treatments and vaccines for viral diseases.

3. What are some current research topics related to protecting endangered species and viruses?

Some current research topics include studying the impact of climate change on endangered species and their habitats, developing new methods for tracking and monitoring endangered species, and investigating the genetic diversity of viruses to better understand their evolution and potential for outbreaks.

4. How can individuals contribute to protecting endangered species and preventing the spread of viruses?

Individuals can contribute by supporting conservation efforts and initiatives, reducing their carbon footprint to mitigate the effects of climate change, and practicing proper hygiene and disease prevention measures. They can also volunteer their time and resources to organizations working towards protecting endangered species and researching viruses.

5. What are some challenges faced in protecting endangered species and managing viruses?

Some challenges faced include limited funding for research and conservation efforts, political and economic obstacles, and the difficulty in predicting and controlling the spread of viruses. Additionally, protecting endangered species and managing viruses often requires collaboration and cooperation among different organizations and countries, which can present logistical challenges.