Projectile Motion: Range proof

In summary: R.In summary, the range of the projectile is a plane which is inclined at an angle alpha to the horizontal.
zanazzi78
Q. A projectile is fired with an initial speed [tex]V_0[/tex] at an angle [tex]\beta[/tex] to the horitontal. Show that it's range alnog a plane which it's self is inclined at an angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] to the horitontal [tex]( \beta > \alpha)[/tex] is given by:
[tex]
R = \frac{(2{V_0}^2 cos \beta sin(\beta - \alpha )}{g {cos}^2\alpha}
[/tex]

A.So I`ve started off with
[tex]\triangle x = (V_0 cos \beta) t[/tex]
and
[tex]\triangle y = (V_0 sin \beta) t - frac{1}{2} g t^2[/tex]

[tex]\triangle x = cos \alpha[/tex]and [tex]\triangle y = sin \alpha[/tex]
so i rearranged [tex]\triangle x[/tex] to get [tex]t = \frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta}[/tex] and sub it into [tex]\triangle y[/tex]
now i have
[tex]
\triangle y = (V_0 sin \beta)\frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta} - \frac{1}{2} g ( \frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta} )[/tex]

[tex]
\triangle y= \frac {V_0 sin \beta cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta} - \frac{1}{2} g ( \frac{cos \alpha}{V_0 cos \beta})[/tex]
[tex]
sin \alpha = tan \beta cos \alpha - \frac {g {cos}^2 \alpha}{2 {V_0}^2 {cos}^2 \beta}
[/tex]
now i`m stuck ... Any hint`s/tips would be great.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Somewhere there seems to be an 'R' missing.

Also, one of the latex expression needs \ in front of frac.

delta x = cos(alpha) ??

daniel_i_l said:
delta x = cos(alpha) ??

alpha is the angle of the inclinded plane. it forms a right triangle with the horizontal and the point at which the projectile meets the inclinded plane. therefore delta x is equal to cos alpha.

zanazzi78 said:
[tex]\triangle x = cos \alpha[/tex]and [tex]\triangle y = sin \alpha[/tex]
This is where the R is missing. They should be,

[tex]\triangle x = Rcos \alpha[/tex]and [tex]\triangle y = Rsin \alpha[/tex]

Fermat said:
This is where the R is missing. They should be,
[tex]\triangle x = Rcos \alpha[/tex]and [tex]\triangle y = Rsin \alpha[/tex]

ok so i`ve put the 'R' s in and get

[tex]
R Sin \alpha = R tan \beta cos \alpha - \frac {R g {cos}^2 \alpha}{2 {V_0}^2 {cos}^2 \beta}
[/tex]

but i don`t see how this helps?

You're almost there. But the R in the last term should be R²

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity, after being launched with an initial velocity.

2. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is calculated using the equation R = (v02 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The factors that affect the range of a projectile include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the range of a projectile by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This resistance is dependent on the shape and size of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air.

5. What is the maximum range of a projectile?

The maximum range of a projectile occurs when it is launched at a 45 degree angle. This is because at this angle, the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity are equal, resulting in the longest range possible for a given initial velocity.