The Speed of a Block (Springs)

In summary, a 0.164-kg block is dropped onto a vertical spring with a spring constant of 62 N/m. The block sticks to the spring and compresses it by 0.17 m before coming to a stop. To find the speed of the block just before it hits the spring, the conservation of energy formula is used. However, the correct answer is not obtained, so the loss of potential energy in the block during compression must also be considered. The energy balance equation is used to find the final speed of the block.
Ike
A 0.164-kg block is dropped straight downwards onto a vertical spring. The spring constant of the spring is 62 N/m. The block sticks to the spring and the spring compresses 0.17 m before coming to a momentary halt. What is the speed of the block just before it hits the spring? Give your answer in (m/s).

My initial thought was to use a conservation of energy formula. I came up with:

(1/2)(k)(x)^2 = (1/2)(m)(v)^2
(1/2)(62 N/m)(0.17 m)^2 = (1/2)(0.164 kg)(v)^2
v = {[(62 N/m)(0.17 m)^2]/(0.164 kg)}^(1/2)​

This, however, is not the correct answer. Therefore, there must be another way of doing this problem. Can anyone help me?

Likes fireflies911
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you add on the loss of PE in the block due to the distance traveled - i.e. the compression of the spring ?

Well, I was assuming that at the moment just before the block hits the spring, the total energy is going to be kinetic. This is because the spring has not yet been compressed. Once the spring has been compressed as far as it will go (velocity = 0), all of the energy will be in spring potential.

Therefore, the kinetic energy before the block hits the spring will equal the potential energy of the spring at the bottom of its motion.

Is this correct?

Just before the block hits the spring, you can consider the total energy of the block, at that point, as kinetic energy. All of this energy is absorbed by the spring during compression.

But consider the block simply placed on top of the spring, motionless, then released. The spring will compress, by an amount x say. The work done on the spring is (1/2)kx² and comes from the loss in PE of the block. That PE is mgx.

So, in your case, not only will KE from the block's movement give compression, so also will the loss in PE of the block.
The PE in the spring will then be equal to the loss in KE of the block plus the loss in PE of the block.

Okay, I see what you mean now... So I need to find how far the spring is compressed by the block if it were at rest on the spring. Then I need to subtract the resultant energy loss from the total energy of the system. Thanks for your help!

Ike said:
... So I need to find how far the spring is compressed by the block if it were at rest on the spring. ...
Not quite!

Sorry, I may have been confusing you.

That was just meant as an illustration of how the loss of PE in the block, as the spring compresses, should be taken into account.

Let the spring compress by an amount x.

WD on spring = ½kx²
Loss of PE = mgx
Loss of KE = ½mv²

Energy Balance
============
½kx² = mgx + ½mv²

k = 62 N/m
x = 0.17 m
m = 0.164 kg

solve for v.

1. What factors affect the speed of a block on springs?

The factors that affect the speed of a block on springs include the stiffness of the springs, the mass of the block, the initial position and velocity of the block, and the presence of any external forces such as friction.

2. How does the stiffness of the springs affect the speed of the block?

The stiffer the springs, the faster the block will oscillate and the higher the maximum speed it can reach. This is because stiffer springs provide a greater restoring force, resulting in a larger acceleration and thus a higher speed.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and its speed?

The heavier the block, the slower it will oscillate and the lower the maximum speed it can reach. This is because a heavier block requires more energy to overcome its inertia and accelerate, resulting in a slower speed.

4. How does the initial position and velocity of the block affect its speed?

The initial position and velocity of the block determine the amplitude and phase of its oscillations, which in turn affect its speed. A block with a larger initial velocity or amplitude will have a higher maximum speed, while a block with an initial position closer to equilibrium will have a lower maximum speed.

5. Can external forces impact the speed of the block on springs?

Yes, external forces such as friction can affect the speed of the block on springs. Friction will decrease the amplitude and speed of the block's oscillations, as some of the energy is lost to overcome the frictional force. Other external forces, such as a constantly applied force, can also impact the speed of the block.