What falling in love feels like to you

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of love and its various aspects and effects on people. Different perspectives and experiences are shared, ranging from the initial attraction and infatuation to the more stable and lasting platonic relationships. Despite the ups and downs of being in love, it is still seen as a cherished and complex emotion that can bring both joy and pain.
Loren Booda
Being drawn to a stranger's voice across the room. No doubting that "this is love." Eyes longing for each other, a sharing of moist breath and iris' pulse. A real, Native magic.

A rare touch eliciting truth in unconditional positive regard. Desiring to follow her naturally seductive lead. Heaven on earth. Lasting memories after years of pent-up passion.

Physics news on Phys.org
It used to just mean 'pain'. Then W came along. I wanted nothing to do with her, and tried to avoid her at all costs, but she stalked me into submission. After the first 6 months or so of living together, I got comfortable. Now, after 2 years, I'm firmly in love with her. It doesn't feel like any of the previous hormone-dictated situations. She's somene that I can just be me with... fart in bed, scratch my ass when it itches, keep drinking when she says that I've had enough... typical wife stuff.
Speaking of which, I'd best log out now and go down to bed before I get treated to the 'rolling pin persuasion'. :eek:

captivity:yuck:

I have something rather humorous to share. :smile:

Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.

~Neil Gaiman

I don't know, somehow I like what the guy is saying.

Wow, love definitely sucked for the Neil Gaiman fellow.

Reshma said:
I have something rather humorous to share. :smile:
Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.

~Neil Gaiman

I don't know, somehow I like what the guy is saying.
I love it.

Ah ah ! I hate love. Great sentence...

bogart.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1364/tracyhepburnlh7.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a younger man, I fell in love on a regular basis. It seemed a pleasant experience at the time. But I have been standing in love for the past 19 years and I look back on that era as a huge waste.

jimmysnyder said:
But I have been standing in love for the past 19 years and I look back on that era as a huge waste.

When I was a younger man, falling in love was some of the most cherished feelings I can remember.

You know, finally getting to go on a date with that special someone you've had your eye on for some time. Then making out and... that night...

Then...

OMG the preoccupation with the night before, all day at work, the next day!

I would give my right arm to relive some of those moments, even though I was usually the one to get hurt 90% of the time.

Jim

I think there's two kind of love and the more you lean towards one or the other, it becomes less like love and more like something else:

the first kind is the instinctual love, the infatuation, the hormones, which is steps away from lust.

the second is the intellectual love, the kind of faith and trust you build up with something. Perhaps a platonic relationship.

As I get older, the frequency and intensity of instinctual love has greatly decreased and long-lasting platonic relationships have showed to be more stable and not intense at all. Grass is always greener, I guess. Less drama = less fun.

bogartbacall.jpg

Astronuc said:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1364/tracyhepburnlh7.jpg [Broken]

ahhh--Those pleasurable endorphins!

(with such a GREAT photo that Astronuc found, I thought that re-posting the link to that song would be appropriate here--for the visual and auditory effect)

http://bedazzled.blogs.com/bedazzled/files/02_the_look_of_love_vocal_dusty_springfield_1.mp3 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm through with love. I'm just looking for someone that can tolerate me.

Also, my older daughter "spawn" who's birthday is also today, reminded me she gave me the fruitbat and that's all the love I need in life. :frown:

I reminded her that he's a little dog and might only have another 8 years to live. She assured me I'd die first, so won't have to worry about it. She always knows how to cheer me up. :uhh:

Evo said:

Also, my older daughter "spawn" who's birthday is also today, reminded me she gave me the fruitbat and that's all the love I need in life. :frown:

I reminded her that he's a little dog and might only have another 8 years to live. She assured me I'd die first, so won't have to worry about it. She always knows how to cheer me up. :uhh:

WHAT?

(he's a lucky dog to have you!--

---and little dogs live longer--fruitbat?--what is it?-a terrier?)

(evo-you may want to clear some messages again--download them if you want to save them)

(listen to that song I linked on that other post a few more times)

Last edited:
Evo said:
No! You're too young to give up! And you should expect more than toleration from a relationship.

You need to sit down and have a long talk with her.

sort of like proving a theorem, you're happy all over and wonder if it can really be true.

rewebster said:
WHAT?

(he's a lucky dog to have you!--

---and little dogs live longer--fruitbat?--what is it?-a terrier?)

(evo-you may want to clear some messages again--download them if you want to save them)

(listen to that song I linked on that other post a few more times)
The Fruitbat is a Japanese Chin. And he doesn't love me, he tolerates me as long as I feed him and scratch his rear end. That sounds like a husband, doesn't it? :rofl: He has a quite an attitude for such a tiny thing.

I cleared my pm box out.

Evo said:
The Fruitbat is a Japanese Chin. And he doesn't love me, he tolerates me as long as I feed him and scratch his rear end. That sounds like a husband, doesn't it? :rofl: He has a quite an attitude for such a tiny thing.

I cleared my pm box out.

hmm--I don't know---I kind of like it behind my ears

They look like Pek's---what are some of the differences? and when does it look like a fruitbat?

(I had better PM you in the next few minutes before your pm box gets filled again (what is that, mentors get 150?)

rewebster said:
hmm--I don't know---I kind of like it behind my ears.

They look like Pek's---what are some of the differences? and when does it look like a fruitbat?
I'm not sure what the differences are, my daughter would know. They're supposed to be perfect companion dogs. I call him the fruitbat because he will pass over a piece of meat for fresh fruit.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'm just looking for someone that can tolerate me.

If you'd moved up here before I met W, I would have tolerated you to such an extent that you would have taken out a restraining order. :tongue2:

Being in love means to maintain an abiding affection for the other.

Loving someone means, among other things, wanting the best for that someone, whether the relationship is a friendship or more intimate relationship such as a marriage or other committed relationship.

A husband and wife should have a mutually supportive relationship, being each other's best friend even, and such a relationship should be one of mutual affection, based on mutual trust, respect, admiration, and other positive attributes.

Mutual tolerance does not make for a good or satisfactory relationship, and would seem contrary to the purpose of being involved within an intimate relationship. Being involved in a relationship in which one loves another only to be tolerated by the other would seem harmful in the long term. On the other hand, I have seen elderly married couples essentially living separate lives, e.g. sleeping in separate bedrooms, but then they have a history of 30+ or 40+ years.

Last edited:
Love is salty.

Hi
For me I think that love is some kind of selfishness.
when you love someone you want to have it for your self, to keep it for you , to stay all the time close to him. I don't mean that it is wrong, selfishness is a part of our personality, an instinct in us. those instinct inside us is what makes us survive. So what I mean that love is not wrong. Because every time someone hears what I say think that I think that love is wrong.

When you love something(you pda, football team, car etc...) you want to by it and have it for you.

Like when you love someone you wan't to keep it for you, I don't know how to say it correctly in english, you will be jalouse from every one that your lover loves.

I think when you love (not necesseray a person ), you have to be carefull and think again and again ...

It is not some thing usefull or positive to love, it is one of your instincts in you ...

I'm pretty sure I'm on track to not getting married. I'm willing to spend lots of time with a girl, but marriage... I don't think so. If I did get married, it can't be in a church and can not use any religious terms.

I'm too young to think about marriage anyways. I barely have my own life on it's tracks. I'm 23 and moving out just on Saturday. I plan on moving away in May 2008, so any relationship existing would get destroyed. Any long distance relationship with me will not work and I will make no exceptions. I need physical and sexual interaction. I will not let a girl follow me there because I want to live on my own. She can come, but she's on her own.

And basically I'll take it from there.

Maybe I'll think of marriage or something of that sort when I'm like 40.

I can accept the fact of being alone. It doesn't bother me at all. I have a great times in my life and I see no reason to put myself down or waste my life waiting for someone. It's kind of silly. Enjoy life whether or not that someone is there. (I lived my life accepting that I would go deaf by the time I was 25, so I know what it means to fully accept something. Good thing my doctor told me I have many years to go. :smile: )

For me falling in love with someone is if and only if in broad day light out in the open, you look up in the sky and have an image of that person in the whole sky and feel the effects of that inside you.

Another definition would be that you are in love with a person if and only if when things go wrong, you cry. The more you cry the more in love you were with that person.

These are a bit extrinsic but one could give other definitions of love but I think these two are very strong conditions and a sure sign that you are in love with that person.

Last edited:
That has to be about the strangest response I've seen. What does that even mean??
You think that to love someone you have to have some sort of mid-day illusions of them in the sky and 'feel the effects inside you'??

The more you cry the more you love someone? Give me a break. Crying to me seems more like a way of releasing all the depression that comes about when something bad has happened to someone you love. However, you can still be extremely hurt inside if you don't cry. Some people just aren't that emotional, but it doesn't mean that they don't care deeply for people and that they wouldn't be truly saddened when something bad happened.

What does God's love mean?

Modern love seems to lose its original meaning. I remembered being taught that love is permanent selfless?

Now love is temporary, love is conditional?

JasonRox said:
I'm pretty sure I'm on track to not getting married. I'm willing to spend lots of time with a girl, but marriage... I don't think so. If I did get married, it can't be in a church and can not use any religious terms.

I've been with the same girl for 10+ years now. We live together, own a house together, share 3 vehicles together and love each other unconditionally and we are not married nor plan on doing so any time soon. Marriage is just a piece of paper these days.

And yes, relationships are a lot of work, and it's hard enough just finding someone to "just tolerate you", but there has to be a little something more there going on or you drive each other nuts and the bitter end is already in the works.

Jim

big man said:
That has to be about the strangest response I've seen. What does that even mean??
You think that to love someone you have to have some sort of mid-day illusions of them in the sky and 'feel the effects inside you'??

The more you cry the more you love someone? Give me a break. Crying to me seems more like a way of releasing all the depression that comes about when something bad has happened to someone you love. However, you can still be extremely hurt inside if you don't cry. Some people just aren't that emotional, but it doesn't mean that they don't care deeply for people and that they wouldn't be truly saddened when something bad happened.

Ok. How about a more general less emotional one. You are in love with someone when you think about them, you think about (your) life itself.

I've kinda always been looking for love... Trying to force it trying to find the one person who could make me happy. This weekend I tried harder than ever before and nothing happened. The day after I had done some really really stupid stuff I decided I should take it easy and not really try. This super amazing girl who had a boyfriend started talking to me. I knew her boyfriend but I decided I should be friendly so we talked and I was completely honest about everything no matter how much it would make her dislike me. We kept talking and we played 2 games of beerpong and then we started playing basketball. Witch she was pretty good at but everything else seemed to disappear all my worries were gone it was just me and her hanging out having the most amazing time ever. I could completely be me and she was completely herself and I want a million nights like that just because it was sooo amazing. I've been with other girls but nothing seemed so right as what that feeling we had between us plus she's like the coolest girl I've ever met. And if this is not the feeling of love then I don't know what is

mathwonk said:
sort of like proving a theorem, you're happy all over and wonder if it can really be true.

:!)

Mathwonk, you are awesome.

Two year old necropost.

Evo said:
Two year old necropost.

Do people search for "what does it feel like to fall in love" in google and find this? Blows my mind the amount of necroposting I see happen now-a-days!

<h2>1. What are the physical sensations you experience when falling in love?</h2><p>When falling in love, you may experience an increased heart rate, butterflies in your stomach, flushed cheeks, and a feeling of warmth or tingling in your body. These physical sensations are caused by a release of hormones such as adrenaline and oxytocin.</p><h2>2. How does falling in love affect your brain?</h2><p>Falling in love can activate the reward centers of your brain, leading to feelings of pleasure and happiness. It can also decrease activity in the amygdala, which is responsible for fear and anxiety, leading to a sense of calm and security.</p><h2>3. Can you describe the emotional aspects of falling in love?</h2><p>Falling in love can bring about a wide range of emotions, including excitement, joy, happiness, and even fear. You may also feel a strong sense of connection and attachment to the person you are falling in love with.</p><h2>4. How does falling in love impact your behavior?</h2><p>When falling in love, you may find yourself wanting to spend more time with the person you love, and may even prioritize their needs and desires over your own. You may also feel more motivated and energized to do things that make your partner happy.</p><h2>5. Is there a difference between falling in love and being in love?</h2><p>Yes, falling in love is often described as the initial stage of a romantic relationship, where strong feelings of attraction and infatuation are present. Being in love, on the other hand, is a deeper and more stable emotional state that comes with time and involves a strong bond and commitment to the other person.</p>

1. What are the physical sensations you experience when falling in love?

When falling in love, you may experience an increased heart rate, butterflies in your stomach, flushed cheeks, and a feeling of warmth or tingling in your body. These physical sensations are caused by a release of hormones such as adrenaline and oxytocin.

2. How does falling in love affect your brain?

Falling in love can activate the reward centers of your brain, leading to feelings of pleasure and happiness. It can also decrease activity in the amygdala, which is responsible for fear and anxiety, leading to a sense of calm and security.

3. Can you describe the emotional aspects of falling in love?

Falling in love can bring about a wide range of emotions, including excitement, joy, happiness, and even fear. You may also feel a strong sense of connection and attachment to the person you are falling in love with.

4. How does falling in love impact your behavior?

When falling in love, you may find yourself wanting to spend more time with the person you love, and may even prioritize their needs and desires over your own. You may also feel more motivated and energized to do things that make your partner happy.

5. Is there a difference between falling in love and being in love?

Yes, falling in love is often described as the initial stage of a romantic relationship, where strong feelings of attraction and infatuation are present. Being in love, on the other hand, is a deeper and more stable emotional state that comes with time and involves a strong bond and commitment to the other person.