Distance Between Atoms: How to Measure

• Thread starter Legion81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding the distance between atoms. Some suggestions include using Avogadro's law, measuring the volume of a film, shining X-rays and looking at the diffraction pattern, and using scanning tunneling microscopy. The use of Van der Waals radius is also mentioned as a possible solution. However, it is noted that some of these methods may require high temperatures and may not be feasible for those on a budget.
Legion81
Is there a way to find the distance between atoms? For example, if you have a pure gold film... how can you find out how far the gold atoms are spaced?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an idea. Take a look at a periodic table of the elements and check out how much weight is worth a mole of the element you are trying to estimate its atoms distance. (Assume that your substance is free of all the other elements). Then as you know Avogadro's number, you know how many atoms there are in the "block" (or film as in your example) of the particular element (gold for you). Now it's getting a bit complex... hmm. I'm not sure it's as easy as I thought. Maybe by measuring the volume of your film it would be possible. Interesting question! I'll think on it more.

That was the approach I first thought of, but surely there is some formula or something to just plug some numbers into... Google didn't bring up any results when I searched, so I was hoping someone knew.

Does anyone know of a table or something that has atomic distances for materials? (at X temperature, X pressure, etc.)

humanino said:
One way is to shine it with X-rays and look at the diffraction pattern.

WOW... Thanks! I bet that would work, but I was actually wondering about something on paper. I was playing around with some ideas, then I realized I had no idea how to find the distance between 2 atoms. So as you can see, an experimental value isn't really an option for me. I need a way that fits my budget... which is about a package of ramen noodles! LOL! I guess I'm out of luck.

How about using good old fashioned chemistry (Avogadro's law, etc.)?

(Whoops, fluidistic beat me to it. :))

Check wikipedia. For at least some of the elements it gives you the Van der Waals radius which might be good enough for your purpuses.

I have to look it over, because I am not familiar with that. But I think by measuring the heat properties of your material, plus some condensed matter formalism, you should be able to determine the size of the lattice. I'm not completely positive because I don't remember all the hypothesis you need. Maybe Gokul could help us with that.

edit
Second thought, it is unlikely to work : you would probably need very high tempreatures.

peter0302 said:
How about using good old fashioned chemistry (Avogadro's law, etc.)?

(Whoops, fluidistic beat me to it. :))

Check wikipedia. For at least some of the elements it gives you the Van der Waals radius which might be good enough for your purpuses.

That should work just fine. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the distance between atoms?

The distance between atoms is the measurement of the space between the nuclei of two adjacent atoms. This distance can vary depending on the types of atoms and the chemical bonds between them.

2. How is the distance between atoms measured?

The distance between atoms is typically measured using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, or atomic force microscopy. These methods involve analyzing the diffraction patterns or interactions between atoms to determine their distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the distance between atoms?

The unit of measurement for the distance between atoms is typically angstroms (Å) or picometers (pm). One angstrom is equal to 10^-10 meters, while one picometer is equal to 10^-12 meters.

4. Can the distance between atoms change?

Yes, the distance between atoms can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other atoms or molecules. Chemical reactions can also cause the distance between atoms to change.

5. Why is the distance between atoms important?

The distance between atoms is important because it determines the properties and behavior of a substance. It affects the strength of chemical bonds, the arrangement of atoms in a molecule, and the overall structure of a material. Understanding the distance between atoms is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and nanotechnology.