What is the Equivalence Class for the given Equivalence Relation?

In summary, the equivalence class [2] for the equivalence relation R: Z <-> Z, where xRy, iff |x| = |y| is {2, -2}. For the equivalence relation T: N <-> N, where xTy, iff xmod4 = ymod4, [2] = {2,6,10,14,...}. In the case of R: R <-> R, where xRy, iff floor(x) = floor(y), [2] can be specified using inequalities.
arnold28

Homework Statement

Find the equivalence class [2] for the following equivalence relations:

a) R: Z <-> Z, where xRy, iff |x| = |y|

b) T: N <-> N, where xTy, iff xmod4 = ymod4

N means natural numbers etc...there wasnt the correct symbols in the latex reference

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know how to do the b) part, because we had examples at the class, its:

[0] = {0,4,8,12,...}
[1] = {1,5,9,13,...}
[2] = {2,6,10,14,...}

so the answer is [2] = {2,6,10,14,...} right?

but i don't know how i start to build it when i have |x| = |y|
its probably something very easy and i just don't get it for some reason

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose x is given but unknown, and that |x| = |y|. What can y equal in terms of the given x?

hmmm...y must always be +x or -x?
but i don't understand how the classes are formed. For example class [0], does it mean the list starts at 0? In the b-part the list increases always by 4, but what about in this, by 1?

Now think about concrete examples. If x = -3, what can y be? Consequently, what is [-3]?

if x = -3, then y can then be 3 or -3
What is [-3]? I don't know, {..., ?, -3, ?, ...}

Do you understand why the answer to b) is the answer to b)? Back to a).

[x] = {y | xRy} = {y in Z | |y| = |x|}

[-3] = {y | (-3)Ry} = {y in Z | |y| = |-3|}

arnold28 said:
if x = -3, then y can then be 3 or -3
What is [-3]? I don't know, {..., ?, -3, ?, ...}
Yes, if |x|= |y| and x= -3, then y can be either 3 or -3. So the only numbers equivalent to -3 are 3 and -3. [-3] is the set[\b] of all numbers equivalent to -3 so [3]= ?

I thought I understood the b) part, but now I am not sure if i do deeply enough.

So, in each class the elements are "equivalent" in the way the equivalence relation is defined? xmod4 = ymod4 means every element which has same modulus when divided by 4 belong to same class?

can [-3] then be only {-3,3} in the a) -part?
And [-2] = {-2,2} etc?

I'm confused because we only had those modulus examples in the class and in book and I don't think I understood the theory deeply enough =)

Last edited:
arnold28 said:
I thought I understood the b) part, but now I am not sure if i do deeply enough.

So, in each class the elements are "equivalent" in the way the equivalence relation is defined? xmod4 = ymod4 means every element which has same modulus when divided by 4 belong to same class?

Yes.
arnold28 said:
can [-3] then be only {-3,3} in the a) -part?
And [-2] = {-2,2} etc?

Yes.
arnold28 said:
I'm confused because we only had those modulus examples in the class and in book and I don't think I understood the theory deeply enough =)

It looks like you are catching on. :smile:

What about [0] in a)?

[0] must then be only {0}

What about R: R <-> R, where xRy, iff floor(x) = floor(y)

i don't know if floor() is the right way to write floor function, but can't find the correct symbol. [2] is then something like {2, 2.1, 2.2, ... , 2.99999...} but what is the correct way to write it? Because 2 can have any amount of decimals after it. Does it have to be in a list form like a) and b) here was?

Thanks much for the replies, you helped me alot!

arnold28 said:
[0] must then be only {0}[/qu0te]

This shows that different equivalence classes for the same equivalence relation don't have to have the same number of elements, i.e., in a), [-3] has two elements and [0] has one element.

arnold28 said:
What about R: R <-> R, where xRy, iff floor(x) = floor(y)

i don't know if floor() is the right way to write floor function, but can't find the correct symbol. [2] is then something like {2, 2.1, 2.2, ... , 2.99999...} but what is the correct way to write it? Because 2 can have any amount of decimals after it. Does it have to be in a list form like a) and b) here was?

No, it doesn't have to be a list. For example, you can specify [2] by using inequalities.

What is an equivalence class?

An equivalence class is a set of elements that share a certain characteristic or property. Each element in the set is considered equivalent to all other elements in the set.

Why is finding equivalence classes important in research?

Finding equivalence classes is important in research because it allows scientists to categorize and group data, making it easier to analyze and draw conclusions. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different elements.

What is the process for finding equivalence classes?

The process for finding equivalence classes involves identifying a characteristic or property that is shared by a group of elements, and then grouping those elements together into a set. This process may involve making comparisons, using mathematical operations, or conducting experiments.

Can equivalence classes change over time?

Yes, equivalence classes can change over time. As new data and information is gathered, the categorization of elements may change, leading to the formation of new equivalence classes or the modification of existing ones.

How are equivalence classes used in real-world applications?

Equivalence classes are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in data analysis, software testing, and machine learning. They help to organize and make sense of large amounts of data, and can also be used to identify and predict patterns and trends.