Advice on why not to get a degree in aeronautical engineering.

In summary, it is generally believed that any engineering degree can be useful for obtaining a job in a specific field, as experience and know-how are more important. A degree in aeronautical engineering is particularly useful for those interested in this field, as it focuses on calculations and simulations related to aerodynamics. However, dual degrees in aeronautical and mechanical engineering are also available and may be beneficial for those interested in the mechanical side of things. Higher level education, such as a master's degree, can also be beneficial for those pursuing a career in aeronautical engineering. Aerospace engineering encompasses a variety of disciplines, including fluid dynamics, materials and structures, and dynamics and controls. While it is possible to work in the aero area with a
yencal
Hey Everyone! I really need help here. I have read online in many places that a degree in aeronautical engineering is not really usefull, is this true? If so why? and if not what are the benefits? And my second question is can someone minor in mechanical engineering with a major in aeronatical engineering?
I would really appreciate an answer with details and experience. Thanks in advace.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Any engineering degree is useful. You don't necessarily need a degree in a specific field in order to get a job in it. You need experience and know-how primarily.

2) If you want to be an aeronautical engineer, then a degree in aeronautical engineering is pretty darn useful, no?

3) Do you know what aeronautical engineering really is? You don't design planes. Groups of people design planes, AE's do flow calcs for propulsion systems, Boundary layer calcs for surfaces and body shapes, turbulence, aerodynamics, etc. Aeronautical engineering is heavy on calculations and simulations. That is not to say that you are not an integral part of the design process, but you won't be so involved in the actual mechanics and engineering of the thing so much as the shape of it.

4) Generally, schools offer dual degrees in Aeronautical and Mechanical engineering. If you want to get into the mechanical side of things, this is the way to go. Especially since there are many more jobs out there for MechE's than there are for AeroE's.

5) Also, if you do decide to stick with the aero side of things, you might consider higher level education. Aerodynamicists benefit greatly from masters degrees.

Expounding on what Mr. King wrote, Aeronautical engineering is really applied fluid dynamics. Steam turbines, aircraft, wind propulsion systems, skyscraper wind dynamics, even transportation design could use the input from an Aeronautical Engineer.

On the negative side: someone may have screwed up very badly with the airspeed instruments used on certain Airbus aircraft. Never let it be said this field doesn't matter.

Aerospace engineering isn't just fluid dynamics. There are also specializations in materials and structures as well as dynamics and controls. The vast majority of aerospace engineers end up in structures of aerofluids, but there is a sizable group of aerospace engineers in control theory.

What is aerospace engineering? from AIAA.

Last edited:
i'm thinking about aviation control. should i study aerospace engineering?

I'm not certain what you mean by "aviation control." If you're discussing Air Traffic Control, that's a specialty that has no academic degree.

If you're discussing control systems for aircraft, that's basically a degree in Control Systems Engineering. Most universities will give you a degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Engineering, and that's enough to get your foot in the door. If you're really into such degrees, you can find universities with a full curriculum on the subject, but they're not nearly as commonplace as the other three I cited.

Finally, if you're discussing the specific aerodynamics of flight controls, then you're really looking at aerospace engineering. Like Control Engineering, Aerospace Engineering is actually a cross-section of many disciplines. Many engineers actually have their degrees in something else and they simply found opportunities in this area.

Good Luck!

thanks a lot for the advice!

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Many engineers actually have their degrees in something else and they simply found opportunities in this area.

Good Luck!

does this mean that i can also work in aero area if i major other engineering such as ChemE?

Angeline Ling said:
does this mean that i can also work in aero area if i major other engineering such as ChemE?

Well, Chemical Engineers are probably least well suited for Aerospace Engineering, as most of the problems are thermal, structural, fluid mechanics, and so on. However, material designs for spacecraft offers interesting possibilities, so I wouldn't completely discount it. You might have a hard time selling it, though.

1. What are the job prospects for aeronautical engineers?

Job prospects for aeronautical engineers are generally positive, as there is a growing demand for professionals in the aerospace industry. However, the competition for jobs can be intense, and having a degree in aeronautical engineering can give you a competitive edge.

2. Is the cost of a degree in aeronautical engineering worth it?

The cost of a degree in aeronautical engineering can be high, but it is important to consider the potential return on investment in terms of job opportunities and salary. It may be beneficial to research the average salaries and job placement rates for graduates in this field before making a decision.

3. Can I pursue a career in aerospace without a degree in aeronautical engineering?

While having a degree in aeronautical engineering may give you a competitive advantage, it is possible to pursue a career in aerospace without one. Some employers may value relevant experience and skills just as much as a degree. It is important to research the specific requirements for the career you are interested in.

4. What are the potential downsides of getting a degree in aeronautical engineering?

Some potential downsides of pursuing a degree in aeronautical engineering include the high cost of tuition, the rigorous coursework and demanding workload, and the possibility of not finding a job in your desired field after graduation. It is important to carefully weigh these factors before making a decision.

5. Are there alternative options to a degree in aeronautical engineering for those interested in the aerospace industry?

Yes, there are alternative options for those interested in the aerospace industry, such as pursuing a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering with a focus on aerospace, or pursuing a technical certification or apprenticeship program. It is important to research the specific requirements and opportunities for your desired career path.