Finding the coefficient of kinetic friction

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the acceleration of a cart on a linear track by using the kinematic equation for distance and acceleration. However, they were unable to find the acceleration using this equation because they did not have the time it took to go from one photogate to the other. They were able to derive the acceleration using the equation for distance and acceleration together with another kinematic equation.
rm_girl

Homework Statement

For our lab we had to find the coefficient of kinetic friction for a cart on a linear track. We pushed the cart on the track and it went through two photogates which measured the time it spent in the photogate.
So through the 1st photogate = 0.0040s
2nd photogate = 0.0062s

There was a flag on the cart which was 0.42cm.
So we found the instantaneous velocity through the first gate as v=0.0042m/0.0040s = 1.05m/s
The instantaneous velocity through the second gate was v=.0042m/.0062s = 0.677m/s

The mass of the cart is = 0.507 kg

Homework Equations

vf = vo + at

F=ma

Ff = ukFN

FN = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to use vf = vo + at
find the acceleration as
a= vf - vo/t
but I don't know what the time is between the change instantaneous velocity.
I know if I get the acceleration I can plug into the F=ma, find the force and somehow get the frictional force from there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need one more piece of information. The distance between the gates will do. (But you didn't need the cart mass.)

Unfortunately we didn't measure the distance between the photogates either.
I only thought of getting the time/distance between the photogates AFTER the lab was done. :frown:
But I talked to my professor and apparently we can get the acceleration just from those two instantaneous velocity, unless he didn't understand our question when we asking him about the time issue.

rm_girl said:
apparently we can get the acceleration just from those two instantaneous velocity,
No chance. Suppose the distance between the gates was 1m. That would allow you to work out the acceleration, and would not contradict any of the information you provided. Now suppose it was 1km. This would still not contradict any known facts, but produce a rather different acceleration.

That's what I figured. Well, I can't go back and do the experiment again. So guess I'm screwed.
Thanks for the help though.

rm_girl said:
I can't go back and do the experiment again. So guess I'm screwed.
You can't even estimate it from memory?
For the purposes of the lab exercise, there is merit in at least demonstrating that you could have worked it out if you'd had all the measurements.

Do you have the time it took to go from one photogate to the other?

SammyS said:
Do you have the time it took to go from one photogate to the other?
No I didn't get that time.

I didn't set up the track and photogate, my lab partner did. And I very much highly doubt he remembers either.
I think my professor will accept if I explain it in my lab report what variables I'm missing, then it should be fine.

Just to make sure, before I start typing up my report.

If were to find the acceleration from the equation
a = vf-vi/Δt
Then I plug that into the F=ma
since frictional force is Ff = ukmg I would set
ma = ukmg
and find uk that way ?

rm_girl said:
Just to make sure, before I start typing up my report.

If were to find the acceleration from the equation
a = vf-vi/Δt
Then I plug that into the F=ma
since frictional force is Ff = ukmg I would set
ma = ukmg
and find uk that way ?
Yes, but would you really have known Δt? How would you have measured it accurately? I think it's more reasonable that you would have noted the distance between the gates

haruspex said:
I think it's more reasonable that you would have noted the distance between the gates

How would I find acceleration from the distance?

rm_girl said:
How would I find acceleration from the distance?

There's a kinematic equation for that.

which would be?
the only equation I know that involves distance and acceleration is
d = vot + 1/2at2
which has two unknowns in the equation.

rm_girl said:
the only equation I know that involves distance and acceleration is
d = vot + 1/2at2
You haven't met vf2 - vo2 = 2ad?
If not, you could have derived it from the above together with any other kinematic equation by eliminating t.

No, we never had to use that equation.
But I was just able to derive it using the equation I gave above. Thanks :smile:

rm_girl said:
No, we never had to use that equation.
It's just force * distance = KE, with the masses canceled out.

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of force required to move an object across a surface. It is denoted by the symbol "μ" and is dependent on the materials and surfaces in contact.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction measured?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured by conducting a simple experiment where an object is placed on a surface and a force is applied to move it. By measuring the force required to move the object and dividing it by the weight of the object, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by the type of surface in contact, the roughness of the surface, and the materials of the objects in contact. It can also be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of lubricants.

4. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction differ from static friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction represents the resistance to motion once an object is already in motion, while static friction represents the resistance to motion when an object is at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction is typically lower than the coefficient of static friction for the same surfaces.

5. Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important in many practical applications, such as designing machines and vehicles, predicting the performance of tires and brakes, and understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It also helps to determine the amount of energy needed to overcome friction and the potential wear and tear on surfaces in contact.