Is Mars Colonization Feasible? Astronauts Won't Return

• Thread starter Biosyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    mars
In summary, the possibility of astronauts returning to Earth after living on Mars for a prolonged period of time is uncertain due to the effects of the planet's lower gravity on the human body. While it may be possible for the first and second generations to return with intense training and therapy, future generations may have difficulty adjusting to the higher gravity. The thread discussing this topic can be found at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=612739.
Biosyn
Is this feasible? The astronauts that are traveling to Mars will not be returning and instead will live on the planet for the rest of their lives...

At first, I thought this was some sort of hoax.

Source: http://mars-one.com/en/mission/is-this-really-possible

Furthermore, there is a point in time after which the human body will have adjusted to the 38% gravitation field of Mars and be incapable of returning to the Earth's much stronger gravity. This is due to the total physiological change in the human body which includes reduction in bone density, muscle strength, and circulatory system capacity. While a cosmonaut on-board the Mir was able to walk upon return to Earth after thirteen months in a weightless environment, there may be a duration on Mars after which the human body will not be able to adjust to the higher gravity of Earth upon return.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure they could be able to return and still being able to live here. The fact that the rover and the rooms (I'm imaging it somehow like 2001) would be pressurized similar to the atmosphere of Earth means that there wouldn't be a huge change on the oxygenation rate of the astronauts.

The main issue here would be the bone density and their movement ability. If they are in good shape, they could come here and recover in a short time, however most of them would require some therapy in order to recover, just like people who recovered movement of their legs after a long paralyzed state.

Rono said:
I'm pretty sure they could be able to return and still being able to live here. The fact that the rover and the rooms (I'm imaging it somehow like 2001) would be pressurized similar to the atmosphere of Earth means that there wouldn't be a huge change on the oxygenation rate of the astronauts.

The main issue here would be the bone density and their movement ability. If they are in good shape, they could come here and recover in a short time, however most of them would require some therapy in order to recover, just like people who recovered movement of their legs after a long paralyzed state.

After living on Mars for a substantial amount of time, do you think they will be able to tolerate the G forces encountered when reentering Earth's atmosphere?
And that is if they ever come back. I don't think they are planning a return stage of this mission. :frown:

Biosyn said:
After living on Mars for a substantial amount of time, do you think they will be able to tolerate the G forces encountered when reentering Earth's atmosphere?
And that is if they ever come back. I don't think they are planning a return stage of this mission. :frown:

I'm totally considering a hypothetical scenario where they would plan a return mission. Among the original or first and second generations in Mars, it would be required an intense training to handle forces of 10g, specially when they are used to a force of 0.4g (the gravity of Mars). However, I think that after that, due to evolution, it would be needed a training maybe more intense than what's known for us. Unless a special anti-force suit is done, it would be impossible to handle 10g for the later generations.

What is the current state of Mars colonization feasibility?

The current state of Mars colonization feasibility is still being researched and debated. While there have been successful robotic missions to Mars, there are still many challenges and unknowns when it comes to sending humans to colonize the planet.

What are some of the challenges associated with Mars colonization?

Some of the challenges associated with Mars colonization include radiation exposure, the harsh Martian environment, limited resources, and the psychological and physiological effects of long-term space travel on humans.

What are some potential solutions to these challenges?

Potential solutions to the challenges of Mars colonization include developing advanced radiation shielding technology, creating sustainable habitats and ecosystems on Mars, finding and extracting resources on the planet, and conducting extensive research on the effects of long-term space travel on humans.

Why might astronauts not be able to return from Mars colonization?

Astronauts may not be able to return from Mars colonization due to the high cost and technical challenges of launching a return mission from Mars, as well as the potential physical and mental toll that a one-way trip to Mars and living on the planet may have on individuals.

What are the potential benefits of Mars colonization?

Potential benefits of Mars colonization include furthering our understanding of the universe and potential for life on other planets, creating new opportunities for scientific research and innovation, and potentially establishing a backup plan for humanity in case of catastrophic events on Earth.