What does curl E = const. on Ω say about E on ∂Ω?

• Thread starter ManDay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, the conversation is discussing the restrictions on the boundary conditions for a simply connected domain Ω and a twice differentiable vector field E satisfying "∇×E = const." and "∇E = 0" on Ω. These restrictions can be derived from Stokes' theorem and may involve a curve integral value along the boundary of ∂Ω. However, it is not clear how to formulate these boundary conditions in the case of a conductor forming a loop that is pierced by a changing magnetic field. On the other hand, for a metallic ring in a slowly changing magnetic field, the boundary conditions are known and involve continuous tangential and normal components of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as proportionality between surface current
ManDay
What does "curl E = const." on Ω say about E on ∂Ω?

Assume I have a simply connected domain Ω and a twice differentiable vector field E for which I know that "∇×E = const." (1) and "∇E = 0" (2) on Ω - I am interested in solving a BC Problem on ∏ = (Ʃ ⊃ Ω)\Ω, the remainder of Ʃ less Ω.

(1) and (2) imply certain restrictions on the BC on ∏. Question:

Which are the restrictions equivalent to (1) and (2)?

By Stokes' theorem, ∫dr·E = ∫dA·const. along the boundary of ∂Ω, but that alone can't possibly be equivalent, can it? I might pick an E which satisfies a certain curve integral value along ∂Ω and which can't satisfy (1) and (2), I assume.

Context: A conductor is forming a loop the hole in which is pierced by a changing magnetic field - how this can be re-formulated into BCs on the conductor's domain? Can it, at all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with the assumptions 1,2 and Maxwell's equations, I do not see how one could arrive at simple boundary conditions. Probably many different boundary conditions are possible.

On the other hand, for metallic ring in slowly changing magnetic field, the boundary conditions on its surface are known. The electric field E has continuous tangential component, and the normal component has jump proportional to surface charge density. The magnetic field B has continuous normal component, and the tangential component has jump proportional to surface current density. Inside the metallic ring, the current density may be assumed to be proportional to electric field (Ohm's law).

1. What is the meaning of "curl E = const."?

The statement "curl E = const." means that the curl of the electric field (E) is a constant value within the given region (Ω).

2. What does this statement say about the behavior of the electric field (E) within Ω?

This statement suggests that the electric field (E) is a uniform and constant vector field within the given region (Ω).

3. How does this statement relate to the boundary of Ω, ∂Ω?

The statement "curl E = const." does not provide any information about the behavior of the electric field (E) on the boundary (∂Ω) of the given region (Ω).

4. Can the electric field (E) have a non-zero value on ∂Ω if "curl E = const." on Ω?

Yes, the electric field (E) can have a non-zero value on ∂Ω even if "curl E = const." on Ω. This statement only provides information about the behavior of the electric field (E) within the given region (Ω).

5. What other information is needed to fully describe the electric field (E) on ∂Ω?

To fully describe the electric field (E) on ∂Ω, we would need additional information such as the magnitude and direction of the electric field (E) at specific points on ∂Ω, the boundary conditions, and any other relevant physical properties of the system.