Does the order of algebraic steps (not operations) matter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the equation for an ellipse and the different steps that can be taken to arrive at the solution. The focus is on two specific sequences of steps and why one may seem to work while the other does not, even though they should both lead to the same result. The key to understanding this is through rearranging terms and squaring multiple times to simplify the equation.
Darren73
I know that the example I use has been done online many times, but my question isn't about how to get the answer, that is obvious, my question goes a little deeper.

For example when deriving the equation for an ellipse we have the constraint that the ellipse equation describe the set of (x,y) such that the sum of the distances from (x,y) to the foci [(-c,0), (c,0)] is constant, let's say 2a for convenience.

After setting up the equality that c^2+b^2=a^2 (Where b is the y value when (x,y) is in between the foci) we quickly establish the following equation which is used in various derivations online:

sqrt((x+c)^2+y^2)+sqrt((x-c)^2+y^2)=2a

If we square both sides first and then isolate and simplify we arrive at an impasse:

2x^2+2y^2+2c^2+2*sqrt(c^4-2c^2(x^2-y^2)+(x^2-y^2)^2)=4a^2

But if we isolate one of the radicals first and then square we can simplify down to an expression

cx-a^2=a*sqrt((x-c)^2+y^2)

And then if we square both sides again and simplify we can get an expression that allows us to use the c^2+b^2=a^2 relation and obtain the formula.

I'm confused as to why one sequence of steps (squaring, isolating, simplifying,...) does not allow you to find the solution whereas another set of steps (isolating, squaring, simplifying, squaring,...) does allow you to find the solution. It seems to me that since any of the expressions along the way to finding the solution are transformable into each other by simple techniques (adding 0, multiplying by 1, isolating, squaring, etc.) that any path should allow us to arrive at the solution. Now maybe my algebra is rusty and maybe you're supposed to always isolate first, but I'm not sure. Can someone help explain this to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First of all, you squared it wrong. You should get ##\sqrt{c^4-2c^2(x^2-y^2)+(x^2+y^2)^2}## as the radical.

And this is not an impasse. All you have to do is move some terms to the other side:

##\sqrt{c^4-2c^2(x^2-y^2)+(x^2+y^2)^2} = 2a^2 - c^2 - x^2 - y^2 = (a^2 + b^2) - (x^2 + y^2)##

Now you can square again to get

##c^4 - 2c^2(x^2 - y^2) + (x^2+y^2)^2 = (a^2 + b^2)^2 - 2(a^2+b^2)(x^2 + y^2) + (x^2 + y^2)^2##

and this simplifies properly.

Note that in either case, you end up squaring, rearranging terms, then squaring again. So your intuition that it should be possible both ways was correct; you just didn't try hard enough to make it work the first way :P

Likes 1 person

1. Why does the order of algebraic steps matter?

The order of algebraic steps matters because it affects the final result of the equation. Changing the order of steps can lead to a different solution or even an incorrect one.

2. Can I change the order of steps in any algebraic equation?

No, you cannot change the order of steps in any algebraic equation. There are specific rules and principles that must be followed in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the equation.

3. What happens if I perform the steps in the wrong order?

If you perform the steps in the wrong order, you will most likely end up with an incorrect solution. This is because each step in an algebraic equation builds upon the previous one, and changing the order can disrupt the logic of the equation.

4. Is there a specific order in which algebraic steps should be performed?

Yes, there is a specific order in which algebraic steps should be performed. This order is known as the Order of Operations, which dictates that you should first simplify within parentheses, then solve exponents, followed by multiplication/division, and lastly addition/subtraction.

5. Can I skip any steps in an algebraic equation?

No, you should not skip any steps in an algebraic equation. Each step is crucial in reaching the correct solution, and skipping a step can lead to an incorrect solution.