Calculating Volume of Solution After Adding Substance

• Thread starter ChrisJA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation is about determining the exact volume of a solution after a substance is dissolved into another. The person is looking for a way to find this information, but notes that most methods require experimental parameters and density tables are not usually available for solutions containing more than two substances. They mention a partial molar volume calculator and a concentration calculator as potential resources.
ChrisJA
Could someone tell me the Google terms or where to look in a general chemistry textbook. I want to know the exact volume after one substance is dissolved into another. For example I know a liter of alcohol and a liter of water don't combine to make exactly two liters

Or let's say I have 1 liter of water I add 1 gram table salt. It dissolves and I have a saltwater solution with density of 1.001 Is the above exactly correct? Does the dissolved NaCl not add any volume?

If someone could give me a hint and how to find the details I'd be happy. I last took chemistry 25 years ago but I think we used approximate methods. I'm looking to know the physics involved.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
General answer: there is no general method that doesn't require experimental parameters.

The only way of doing the calculations is with the use of density tables. However, these rarely exist for solutions containing more than two substances.

See if my concentration calculator doesn't help (and the dilution calculator in particular). It has built in density tables for over 300 compounds (including some of the miscible ones, like ethanol), and you can add density tables at any time (assuming you will be able to find them). Note: these are all water solutions.

1. How do I calculate the volume of a solution after adding a substance?

The volume of a solution after adding a substance can be calculated by subtracting the initial volume of the solution from the final volume. This difference in volume is equal to the volume of the substance that was added.

2. What units should I use when calculating the volume of a solution?

The units used for volume measurement can vary depending on the system of units being used. However, the most commonly used units for volume are liters (L) or milliliters (mL).

3. How does the concentration of the substance affect the volume of the solution?

The concentration of the substance being added to a solution can affect the final volume of the solution. If the substance is highly concentrated, it may take up a smaller volume compared to a less concentrated substance, as less of it is needed to achieve the desired concentration.

4. Can the temperature of the solution affect the calculation of its volume after adding a substance?

Yes, the temperature of a solution can affect its volume. As the temperature increases, the volume of the solution also increases due to the expansion of the molecules. Therefore, it is important to take into account the temperature of the solution when calculating its volume.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating the volume of a solution after adding a substance?

Yes, the formula for calculating the volume of a solution after adding a substance is: Final Volume - Initial Volume = Volume of Substance Added. This formula can also be rearranged to calculate any of the three variables, depending on the information available.