Simplifying an Expression with x>>a: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying and expressing an equation given x>>a. The solution involves cancelling the a when it is in a similar form as the given equation. The person asking for help is struggling to simplify the equation and is seeking step-by-step guidance. The expert advises them to be more careful and shows an example of how to expand the equation to get a more accurate approximation.
MathewsMD
Hi,

I've attached a screenshot in which a solution simplifies an expression given x>>a. I have been trying to simplify and express the equation as shown, but keep failing to recognize how they reached their solution. If anyone could provide a step-by-step breakdown that would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 11.32.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 11.32.45 PM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
When [itex]x>>a[/itex] then you can assume that [tex]x\pm a\to x[/tex] In other words, you just cancel the a when it's in a similar form to the above.

[tex]3x^2-a^2\approx 3x^2[/tex] for example.

Mentallic said:
When [itex]x>>a[/itex] then you can assume that [tex]x\pm a\to x[/tex] In other words, you just cancel the a when it's in a similar form to the above.

Okay. That is what I did...I may just be simplifying incorrectly but the expression never seems to simplify to the answer stated...I've tried expanding the given equation multiple times now but to no avail and anyone's steps to simplify this would be greatly appreciated!

MathewsMD said:
Okay. That is what I did...I may just be simplifying incorrectly but the expression never seems to simplify to the answer stated...I've tried expanding the given equation multiple times now but to no avail and anyone's steps to simplify this would be greatly appreciated!

I think you need to show what you tried before anyone can make a comment on where you are going wrong. Put the terms over a common denominator first and then work with the numerator.

Last edited:
Mentallic said:

You need to be a little more careful. For example, suppose you have something like ##\frac{1}{x-a}##. You can factor the denominator and expand as a series to get
$$\frac{1}{x(1-a/x)} = \frac{1}{x}\left[1+\frac{a}{x}+\left(\frac{a}{x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{a}{x}\right)^3 + \cdots \right].$$ If you say
$$\frac{1}{x-a} \rightarrow \frac{1}{x},$$ you're only taking the zeroth-order approximation. The first-order approximation would be
$$\frac{1}{x-a} \rightarrow \frac{1}{x}+\frac{a}{x^2}.$$ You generally want to keep enough terms to find the first non-vanishing order in some calculation.

1. What does it mean to simplify an expression with x>>a?

Simplifying an expression with x>>a means to reduce the expression into its simplest form by combining or canceling like terms and using basic algebraic rules.

2. Why is it important to simplify expressions with x>>a?

Simplifying expressions with x>>a allows us to more easily understand and manipulate the expression, making it easier to solve equations and perform other mathematical operations.

3. Can you simplify an expression with x>>a if x and a are variables?

Yes, you can still simplify an expression with x>>a even if x and a are variables. The process remains the same, by combining like terms and using algebraic rules to simplify the expression.

4. Are there any specific steps to follow when simplifying an expression with x>>a?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when simplifying an expression with x>>a. These include identifying like terms, combining like terms, and using the distributive property to remove parentheses.

5. Is there a specific order in which to simplify an expression with x>>a?

Yes, there is a specific order in which to simplify an expression with x>>a. The general rule is to simplify from left to right, combining like terms as you go. However, it is important to follow the specific rules of algebra, such as solving within parentheses first, before moving on to other operations.