Why conductors bonds in such way that leaves the valence band not full

In summary, the differences between metals, semiconductors, and insulators lie in their electronic structure and bonding. Metals have low electronegativity and strong ionic contributions, allowing for accessibility of higher energy states and efficient electron conduction. On the other hand, non-metals have strong covalent bonds and full energy states, resulting in insulating properties. The band gap, which is the energy required to liberate a bound electron into a delocalized state, determines the conductivity behavior of a material and can be measured using UV/Vis spectroscopy. The threshold for semiconductors and insulators is arbitrary, but a commonly used value is 3eV.
abotiz
Hi,

Iam trying to understand the differences between metals, semiconductors and insulators. Regarding the conductivity properties. Iam new to this area so please correct me if I am wrong.

I may be simplifying things now;

1) If I put a voltage over a solid, I only measure a current if there are empty energy states for the electrons to occupy with their available energy (thermal or whatever).

2) The reason why metals conduct electricity so good is because there are empty (higher) energy states. And the reason for that, is because when these atoms bind into a solid, they bond in such way that the electron configuration leaves some available states in the sub shells, e.g. s- or p-sub shells are not full.

3) Semiconductors and insulators bond in such way that all states are full. However, the differences between semi and insulators is the band gap, and Iam not really sure what determines this, the magnitude of the bandgap. Maybe something with cosinus function, K values and Schrödinger equation?

If I am right in this (2), why (or what makes them not to) does metal not bond in covalent bonds in such way that all states are full, like in insulators.

Thank you very much for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making a valiant effort to fuse a number of separate phenomena (electronic structure Fermi energy/level, their bonding together with electrical conductivity) within a unified coherent model. While this is a correct approach that maybe solvable with advanced computational techniques that are beyond me, I believe the introductory models split these up into separate phenomena (see textbook by ashscroft and mermin, and kittel)

1) electronic structure / band theory

2) electrical conductivity

There are many ways to get from 1 -> 2. (e.g. Drude model using 1 for collision time, semi-classical, boltzman diffusion, and phonon scattering)

I'll try and directly address some of your questions

if a band is empty, there are no electrons to carry current when voltage is applied.

if a band is full the electron is stuck cause it has no where to move to (see mott type insulators for a surprising application of this which will confuse you more).

yes the difference between insulators and semiconductors is the size of the band gap. I believe the threshold is around ~2eV, but don't quote me. Yes, it is arbitrary. Ab init calculations of the band gap is one of the unsolved problems in solid state, at least according to Wikipedia last I checked.

your (2) is correct

Your final question. The filling depends on the number of electrons available. Atomic transition metals have roughly half filled 3d states, so their condensed counterpart have the possibility to be half filled.

Atomic Si, Ge, can completely fill their spd shells, so their condensed counter part can be completely filled.

abotiz said:
If I am right in this (2), why (or what makes them not to) does metal not bond in covalent bonds in such way that all states are full, like in insulators.

Metals differ from non-metals in their electronegativity being low (the boundary being somewhere near 2.5).
That means that in non-metals, bonds are covalent, i.e. there is very little ionic character. On the other hand, in metals ionic structures are of large importance, e.g. something like ##\rm Na^+ Na^-\leftrightarrow Na^- Na^+## in addition to covalent contributions. As Coulombic interactions are not directed, a metal can have bonding interactions with much more neighbours than a non-metal.

abotiz said:
2) The reason why metals conduct electricity so good is because there are empty (higher) energy states. And the reason for that, is because when these atoms bind into a solid[...]

3) Semiconductors and insulators bond in such way that all states are full. However, the differences between semi and insulators is the band gap, and Iam not really sure what determines this, the magnitude of the bandgap.

The reason metals conduct electricity so well is because of the accessibility of their higher energy states. The band gap is defined as the energy required to liberate a bound valence electron into a delocalized, unbound "fluid." On average, metals are easier to oxidize than non-metals. In other words, they are more willing to allow for one of their electrons to become unbound. As electrons are promoted into the conduction band, they access this sort of pseudo-oxidation state. The sea is made up of charge carriers, so the oxidation state is still considered 0. However, these conduction electrons are no longer bound.

To answer your other question, band gap can be determined with UV/Vis spectroscopy. This would be a good page if you want to read more: http://science.unitn.it/~semicon/members/pavesi/CaseStudy_uv81.pdf

rigetFrog said:
yes the difference between insulators and semiconductors is the size of the band gap. I believe the threshold is around ~2eV, but don't quote me. Yes, it is arbitrary.

I've heard that a good line to draw it at is 3eV. Although, it is arbitrary, like you said :wink:. I guess it depends on the material's behavior during its usage. I would assume that temperature dependence plays into it.

Last edited:

1. Why do conductors have partially filled valence bands?

Conductors have partially filled valence bands because their outermost electrons are loosely bound and can easily move from one atom to another, allowing for the flow of electric current.

2. How does the partial filling of the valence band affect conductivity?

The partial filling of the valence band allows for the free movement of electrons, making the material a good conductor of electricity.

3. Why do insulators have completely filled valence bands?

Insulators have completely filled valence bands because their outermost electrons are tightly bound to their respective atoms, making it difficult for them to move and conduct electricity.

4. What is the relationship between the number of valence electrons and conductivity?

The greater the number of valence electrons, the higher the conductivity will be in a material. This is because more valence electrons means there are more free electrons available to conduct electricity.

5. Can the valence band of a conductor ever be completely full?

No, the valence band of a conductor cannot be completely full because this would mean that all the outermost electrons are tightly bound and cannot move, making it an insulator instead of a conductor.