Register to reply

50 incredible facts about earth

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: earth, facts, incredible
Share this thread:
AlephZero
#19
Aug7-14, 06:29 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,293
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
have you a source for that ??

if that were really true, then my Geiger counter would go crazy anywhere I took it ... but it doesn't
I didn't believe it either, but based on the numbers in the Wikipedia page for Uranium, it seems to be the right order of magnitude.

You might think about the health hazards from radon gas, and where that comes from.

As for the Geiger counter, how much shielding would you get from a meter thickness of earth?
AnTiFreeze3
#20
Aug7-14, 07:02 PM
AnTiFreeze3's Avatar
P: 251
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
There is a town in Pennsylvania that was evacuated due to a coal mine being set on fire and has been burning for over 50 years, I'm surprised that they missed that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1546552.html

More http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...lia-mine-fire/
The setting in the Silent Hill movie was largely inspired by that town. I wouldn't recommend seeing it, though.

Quote Quote by davenn View Post
have you a source for that ??

if that were really true, then my Geiger counter would go crazy anywhere I took it ... but it doesn't


Dave
Well, he did say "on average," so it's possible there are some very high density locations throughout the world most of us won't ever encounter.
Sheppie
#21
Aug19-14, 02:43 AM
P: 3
Even though 90% of volcanos erupt under the water, the remaining 10% erupting on the ground and to the atmosphere have a huge impact on Earth's atmosphere. The eruptions of Mount Hudson in Chile in August 1991 and Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines in June 1991 produced huge volumes of aerosols that had measurable effects on Earth's atmosphere.


Register to reply

Related Discussions
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts General Discussion 31
Incredible brain Social Sciences 8
Incredible Adventures General Discussion 7
Strange Incredible Identity Linear & Abstract Algebra 1
Facts about Earth for a story Im writing Social Sciences 5