What is gravitational potential energy?

In summary: BY gravity. Doesn't that seem like a simple typo to make?But... if the definition is consistent then it should be the work done BY gravity. Doesn't that seem like a simple typo to make?
Miraj Kayastha
is GPE at a point the work we must do against the gravitational force to bring an object from infinity to the point? Or is it the work done by the gravitational force?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the work done by the gravity.

Miraj Kayastha said:
is GPE at a point the work we must do against the gravitational force to bring an object from infinity to the point?
Yes.

Or is it the work done by the gravitational force?
No, it's the negative of that.

Miraj Kayastha said:
is GPE at a point the work we must do against the gravitational force to bring an object from infinity to the point? Or is it the work done by the gravitational force?

It has to be the work done ON. The Force could be due to many causes - a spring and gravity, for instance. How would you apportion the work done BY between the two, if it worked your alternative way? If you read the definition anywhere, it is quite consistent.

sophiecentaur said:
It has to be the work done ON. The Force could be due to many causes - a spring and gravity, for instance. How would you apportion the work done BY between the two, if it worked your alternative way? If you read the definition anywhere, it is quite consistent.

What point are you trying to make here? That gravitational potential energy is equal to the work done ON an object to oppose gravity rather than the work done ON an object by gravity amounts to nothing more than a sign convention.

We adopt the sign convention that we do so that "Kinetic Energy" plus "Gravitational Potential Energy" is conserved.

One could equally well adopt the opposite sign convention so that "Kinetic Energy" minus "Gravitational Energy Deficit" is conserved.

jbriggs444 said:
What point are you trying to make here? That gravitational potential energy is equal to the work done ON an object to oppose gravity rather than the work done ON an object by gravity amounts to nothing more than a sign convention.

We adopt the sign convention that we do so that "Kinetic Energy" plus "Gravitational Potential Energy" is conserved.

One could equally well adopt the opposite sign convention so that "Kinetic Energy" minus "Gravitational Energy Deficit" is conserved.

I was just pointing out that using the definition avoids any confusion (of sign, as you say). If you start introducing the idea that gravity 'does work' when things fall then there can be utter confusion if and when there is another agency involved. I think that is a valid point and is not just a matter of a sign.

sophiecentaur said:
I was just pointing out that using the definition avoids any confusion (of sign, as you say). If you start introducing the idea that gravity 'does work' when things fall then there can be utter confusion if and when there is another agency involved. I think that is a valid point and is not just a matter of a sign.

If gravity is modeled as a force then gravity does do work when things fall. If two forces are applied to a moving object then both forces do work. That there can be confusion does not change the facts of the matter.

Miraj Kayastha said:

That's a perfectly suitable definition. Another definition could be the work done against gravity to bring an object to a certain distance above the ground. Potential energy is not an absolute number - the point which you define to be zero, either ground level, infinity, or wherever, is totally arbitrary. Potential differences, however, are not arbitrary and do have physical meaning.

jbriggs444 said:
If gravity is modeled as a force then gravity does do work when things fall. If two forces are applied to a moving object then both forces do work. That there can be confusion does not change the facts of the matter.

The question was about Gravitational Potential. I thought that was defined in terms of Work done ON a unit Mass to bring it from infinity. Isn't that the fact of the matter? I can't see a need to consider who does the work so why is there a need to worry further?

sophiecentaur said:
The question was about Gravitational Potential. I thought that was defined in terms of Work done ON a unit Mass to bring it from infinity. Isn't that the fact of the matter? I can't see a need to consider who does the work so why is there a need to worry further?

It is defined in terms of the work done ON a unit Mass BY all forces other than gravity. Or, as the OP worded it, ON an object AGAINST the force of gravity, (which I read to be the same thing).

But apparently I have misunderstood your point. It had seemed that you were claiming that gravity does not do work. Upon re-reading I see that you had not actually made such a claim.

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential to do work by virtue of an object's position relative to other objects.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the reference point.

What is the reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy?

The reference point for calculating gravitational potential energy is usually chosen to be at the surface of the Earth, where the gravitational potential energy is considered to be zero. However, it can also be chosen at any point where the potential energy is known or can be easily calculated.

How does gravitational potential energy change with height?

Gravitational potential energy is directly proportional to the height or distance from the reference point. As an object moves farther away from the reference point, its gravitational potential energy increases. Conversely, as it moves closer to the reference point, its gravitational potential energy decreases.

What is the relationship between mass and gravitational potential energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This means that two objects situated at the same height will have different gravitational potential energies if they have different masses. However, the gravitational potential energy per unit mass will be the same for both objects.