Personal Statement for REU/SURF

In summary, the speaker is a junior electrical engineering student with a focus on semiconductor fabrication technology. They are interested in pursuing a graduate degree and are considering an SURF/REU program at the NIST Electronics and Electrical Engineering Laboratory in Washington D.C. They are seeking guidance on how to structure a personal statement for the program and the ideal length for it. They are also seeking advice from those who have experience with reading these types of statements. The expert advises to omit introductory background and focus on personal aspects, and suggests keeping the statement concise due to the high volume of applications.
leright
I am a junior electrical engineering (may double major in engineering physics) student with 2 more years before completing my degree. I hope to go the graduate school/academic research route, as opposed to the industry route. I am looking at doing a SURF/REU with the NIST Electronics and Electrical Engineering Laboratory in Washington D.C. http://www.eeel.nist.gov/surf/ I feel this is exactly what I should be doing as an undergraduate, considering my goals. I am mostly interested in semiconductor fabrication technology.

My question is how should one structure a personal statement for an REU like this? Should I start with background like what school I go to, what my major is, where I am from, etc, and then go into my career goals, technical interests, and follow that up with why I feel the REU will help me reach those goals, or should I omit the introductory background like my school, major, etc?

also, how long should this report be? One page? Two pages? Five pages? In addition, I haven't progressed too far into my engineering curriculum yet, but by the time the summer gets here and I go do this REU, I will have all of my math done, circuits 1 and lab, circuits 2 and lab, digital electronics with lab, advanced digital electronics with lab, microprocessors, and electromagnetic fields and waves, along with all of my humanities requirements and university physics. I am a bit behind because I was a chemistry major for a brief period of time, and that delayed things a bit.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. It seems like many of you even have to read these letters for prospective REU students because you are researchers for various universities and national institutions, so I feel I could get some good advice from this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any advice? This is the first time I have ever written something like this before so I am a little lost.

Although I'm no expert, I'll say ditch the introductory background. They'll know of your background anyway through your application.
Put something in the personal statement that tells something about YOU, why you want to go to NIST, etc.
There is no "ideal" length for the personal statement. If you can express the most in the minimum number of lines, that's the best. These guys would be getting hundreds of applications. They don't have time to read an extremely long personal statement.

What is a REU/SURF program?

A REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) or SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) program is a competitive summer research opportunity for undergraduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. These programs provide students with hands-on research experience, mentorship from faculty, and professional development opportunities.

Why is a personal statement required for REU/SURF applications?

A personal statement is required for REU/SURF applications because it allows the selection committee to get to know you beyond your academic record. It gives you the opportunity to showcase your motivation, passion, and potential for success in the program. It also helps the committee understand your research interests and how they align with the program's goals.

What should I include in my personal statement?

Your personal statement should include information about your academic background, research experiences, career goals, and why you are interested in the specific REU/SURF program. It should also highlight any relevant skills, accomplishments, and personal qualities that make you a strong candidate for the program.

How long should my personal statement be?

The length of a personal statement for REU/SURF applications varies, but it is typically around 500-1000 words. It is important to follow the specific guidelines provided by each program and to make sure your statement is concise, well-written, and focused on the key points.

What are some tips for writing a strong personal statement?

Some tips for writing a strong personal statement for REU/SURF applications include starting early, being authentic and sincere, focusing on your unique experiences and perspectives, providing specific examples, and seeking feedback from advisors or mentors. It is also important to proofread your statement for grammar and spelling errors and to make sure it is well-structured and organized.