What's the Best Free Antivirus for My PC?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual's antivirus subscription is expiring and they are seeking free alternatives. Recommendations are given for Avast, AVG Free, AntiVer, and Norton Antivirus 2005 (through Google Pack). Avast and AVG Free are highly praised for their features and effectiveness, while Norton is recommended as a familiar name brand option.
Mk
My antivirus is going to go out of subscription tomorrow for my PC. What free stuff should I get?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've been using the home version of Avast (free) for a couple of years, lots of features, not a resource hog and been working well.

Good, cause I already got Avast, my friends recommended it to me. Thank you.

... "verifications" in both directions, cool :biggrin: !

I use a German program called AntiVer- I have been using it for years and have never gotten a virus http://www.free-av.com/

AVG Free. Wonderful program.

I'm also going to recommend Avast. I used that after PC as well.

AVG free is great, it's what I recommend to almost everyone.

Another option - If you download http://pack.google.com" , you get a free 6 month subscription to Norton Antivirus 2005. Though I'm not a firm believer in Norton's capabilities, if you are looking for a familiar name brand for youself or someone you know, it's an easy way to give piece of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also recommend avast!

:)

One here for AVG Free.

I recommend avast! as well.

1. What is a free antivirus and why do I need it?

A free antivirus is a software designed to protect your computer from malicious threats, such as viruses, malware, and spyware. It constantly scans your system and removes any harmful files that can cause damage or steal your personal information. It is important to have a free antivirus to ensure the security and privacy of your computer and personal data.

2. How do I choose the right free antivirus for my computer?

When selecting a free antivirus, consider the features it offers, such as real-time protection, regular updates, and scanning options. Also, check for reviews and ratings from reputable sources to determine the effectiveness and reliability of the antivirus software. It is also important to choose an antivirus that is compatible with your operating system.

3. Can I rely solely on a free antivirus or do I need additional security measures?

While a free antivirus can provide basic protection for your computer, it is recommended to have additional security measures such as a firewall and anti-malware software. These extra layers of protection can help prevent and detect any potential threats that may not be covered by your free antivirus.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a free antivirus?

One of the main disadvantages of using a free antivirus is that it may not offer the same level of protection and features as a paid antivirus. Free antiviruses also tend to have more limited customer support and may display ads or offer additional products during installation. Additionally, some free antiviruses may collect and share user data for marketing purposes.

5. Do I need to regularly update my free antivirus?

Yes, it is important to regularly update your free antivirus to ensure it has the latest virus definitions and security patches. These updates help to keep your computer protected from new and evolving threats. Some free antiviruses offer automatic updates, while others may require manual updates. It is recommended to check for updates at least once a week.