Understanding the Vis-Viva Equation for Elliptical Orbits

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kepler
In summary, the conversation was about a private teacher who was asked a question by their student. The teacher did not know the answer and planned to look it up but was going out with friends. They asked for help in finding the maximum radius of an elliptic route, with the given information of tangential speed and minimal radius. The advertised solution involved the equation for kinetic and potential energy, but the teacher could not understand why it was E_k+U=U_eff instead of E_k+U_eff(R_min)=U_eff(R_max). They later found the answer while thinking at a pub.
fargoth
im a private teacher now for first year students... and today my student asked me a question i didnt know the answer to... so i said i'll look it up, but I am going out with friends :tongue2:

so if you could help and save me the time id really appreciate it.

the problem is finding the maximum radius of an eliptic route.
we know the tangential speed of the body at the point of the minimal radius.
so according to the advertised solution for the problem, the equation should be:
[tex]\frac{mv_{max}^2}{2}-\frac{A}{R_{min}}=\frac{(mv_{max}R_{min})^2}{2mR_{max}^2}-\frac{A}{R_{max}}[/tex]
but we couldn't understand why it was [tex]E_k+U=U_{eff}[/tex] and not [tex]E_k+U_{eff}(R_{min})=U_{eff}(R_{max})[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nm, found my answer... while thinking at the pub :biggrin:

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. I am always happy to help others learn and understand scientific concepts. It sounds like you are doing a great job as a private teacher for first year students.

To answer your question, the equation you have provided is known as the vis-viva equation, which relates the kinetic and potential energies of a body in orbit. The equation is typically written as E = \frac{mv^2}{2} - \frac{GmM}{r}, where E is the total energy, m is the mass of the orbiting body, v is the tangential velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and r is the distance between the two bodies.

In this case, the advertised solution is using the specific form of the vis-viva equation for elliptical orbits, where A is the semi-major axis of the orbit and R is the distance between the orbiting body and the central body. The first term in the equation represents the kinetic energy of the orbiting body at its maximum velocity, while the second term represents the potential energy at the minimum radius of the orbit. The third and fourth terms represent the kinetic and potential energies at the maximum radius of the orbit.

As for the confusion regarding E_k+U=U_{eff} and E_k+U_{eff}(R_{min})=U_{eff}(R_{max}), it is important to note that the effective potential energy, U_{eff}, is a function of the distance between the orbiting body and the central body. This means that the potential energy at the minimum radius, U_{eff}(R_{min}), is not the same as the potential energy at the maximum radius, U_{eff}(R_{max}). Therefore, the correct equation should be E_k+U_{eff}(R_{min})=U_{eff}(R_{max}). I hope this clears up any confusion and helps you understand the problem better. Good luck with your teaching and studies!

1. What are Kepler problems?

Kepler problems refer to a set of mathematical problems related to the motion of celestial bodies, specifically planets and satellites, as described by Johannes Kepler's laws of planetary motion.

2. Why are Kepler problems important?

Kepler problems are important because they help us to understand and predict the motion of planets and satellites in our solar system. They also have practical applications in fields such as astrodynamics and aerospace engineering.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve Kepler problems?

Some common techniques used to solve Kepler problems include the use of numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, and analytical methods, such as the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector.

4. How are Kepler problems related to Newton's laws of motion?

Kepler problems are related to Newton's laws of motion because they are based on the premise that the motion of celestial bodies is governed by gravitational forces, as described by Newton's law of universal gravitation.

5. Can Kepler problems be applied to objects outside of our solar system?

Yes, Kepler problems can be applied to objects outside of our solar system, as long as they are subject to the same fundamental laws of motion and gravity. This allows us to study the motion of planets and satellites in other star systems and galaxies.