Temperature measurement induction heating aluminium

In summary, the author suggests that using a thermocouple to measure the temperature of an induction heating system is a reliable way to measure the temperature. They also suggest using a shielded wire to avoid interference from the induction field.
neitcho
Is there a way to measure the temperature in an induction oven for melting of aluminium(700 C). The pyrometer I’m using can’t correctly display the temperature when the system is running because it interferes with the induction field. The non-contact IR-camera has been abandoned because of the insufficient stirring of the material that gives an oxidation layer on the material and therefore inability to correctly measure the temperature. I’ve started to look on a system with thermocouples covered in a sialon tube to protect them from corrosion. Industry workers say that the wires might be induced even though you use shielded and twisted wires.
What’s you opinion on this problem. Any solutions will be happily received.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really don't know anything about this, but I'm going to take a shot at it. Would it be possible to install electrodes at opposite ends of the melt? You might then be able to measure the resistance of the aluminum and deduce the temperature from that? :confused:

Is your pyrometer aninfrared pyrometer? As long as you have the right emissivity of the surface you are measuring, you should be good. I can't imagine why there would be interference with the inductance. Can you explain what problems you are seeing?

neitcho said:
Is there a way to measure the temperature in an induction oven for melting of aluminium(700 C). The pyrometer I’m using can’t correctly display the temperature when the system is running because it interferes with the induction field. The non-contact IR-camera has been abandoned because of the insufficient stirring of the material that gives an oxidation layer on the material and therefore inability to correctly measure the temperature. I’ve started to look on a system with thermocouples covered in a sialon tube to protect them from corrosion. Industry workers say that the wires might be induced even though you use shielded and twisted wires.
What’s you opinion on this problem. Any solutions will be happily received.

I worked on a project where we used a custom coil to heat an iron sample to well over 1000 C, we just used thermocouples attached to the sample to measure its temperature, we were able to get good data out of them (other than the stray bad thermocouple). We did shield the wire going from the thermocouple though, with a plate of copper between the coil and the thermocouple wire. This was done in a vacuum chamber, so oxidation wasn't an issue, we did end up having to cool the coil with liquid nitrogen though.

Induction heating of aluminum is a difficult one to handle with infrared, as you mentioned, as the changing oxide raises havoc with infrared measurement. However, you can work around this with a multi band system, which effectively takes emissivity variation our of the equation. A dual band system can work some of the time, but can still be subject to error.

Although this paper focus on steel, some of the same concepts apply.
http://www.temperatures.com/Papers/3700_22.PDF

1. How is temperature measured in induction heating of aluminum?

In induction heating of aluminum, temperature is typically measured using thermocouples or infrared (IR) cameras. Thermocouples are small sensors that can be placed directly on the aluminum surface to measure its temperature, while IR cameras use thermal imaging to detect temperature variations on the surface.

2. What is the purpose of temperature measurement in induction heating of aluminum?

The purpose of temperature measurement in induction heating of aluminum is to ensure that the metal reaches the desired temperature for the intended application. This can help monitor the efficiency of the heating process and prevent overheating or underheating of the aluminum.

3. How accurate is temperature measurement in induction heating of aluminum?

The accuracy of temperature measurement in induction heating of aluminum depends on the type of measurement method used. Thermocouples typically have an accuracy of ±1-2%, while IR cameras can have an accuracy of ±2-3%.

4. Can temperature be controlled during induction heating of aluminum?

Yes, temperature can be controlled during induction heating of aluminum using various methods such as adjusting the power output of the heating coil, using temperature controllers, and monitoring the temperature using feedback systems. This allows for precise and consistent heating of the aluminum.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to temperature measurement in induction heating of aluminum?

Yes, there are some safety concerns related to temperature measurement in induction heating of aluminum. It is important to use proper protective equipment when handling hot aluminum and to ensure that the temperature measurement devices are properly calibrated and maintained for accurate readings.