Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a line charge and two conducting planes and how to solve it using the method of images. The first three parts are easy, but the fourth part asks for the electric field far from the origin. The solution involves a Taylor expansion, but the author is struggling to understand how it applies to the problem. Another solution is suggested, but the author is still seeking clarification on the use of Taylor expansions in this context.
Locrian
The problem and a solution can both be found here. In this problem there is a line charge and two conducting planes at the axis. You use the method of images to solve it. The first three parts are easy enough. The fourth asks what the electric field is far from the origin.

I do not know how to find that. I've found two separate solutions, both of which write the potential, wave hands, and promptly write the answer. The link above says "Here we simply need to Taylor expand the expression in (1)." I can do a simple Taylor expansion, so I have an idea what it looks like, but I have no clue what it has to do with this problem. The author's next two equations are just (1) multiplied out, with some jabber inbetween I can't make heads or tails of. Then they write the answer.

Could anyone help me along in how this answer is found? I have actually spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how this is solved, but I cannot seem to get the solution.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aha! There is a solution http://homerreid.ath.cx/~homer/physics/jackson/index.shtml that actually makes a bit of sense.

Still, if anyone has some comments on Taylor expansions I'd appreciate it. I do not understand how one would use a Taylor expansion in this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
That solultion is the Taylor series solution. It is a two dimension Taylor expansion in [itex]{\vec r_0}/r[/itex].

That's almost exactly what the first link wrote. Unfortunately it is no help to me at all. If you know of a place that actually shows the problem being worked out in that manner please let me know.

Thanks for the response.

I meant to say that the steps in Homer's solution to part (d) is precisely a two dimensional Taylor expansion. It IS "the problem being worked out in that manner".

1. What is Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3?

Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3 is a problem in the textbook "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson. It is a problem that involves finding the electric potential and fields of a point charge located in a dielectric medium.

2. What is the difficulty level of Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3?

The difficulty level of Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3 is considered to be intermediate to advanced. It requires a solid understanding of electrostatics and knowledge of dielectric materials.

3. How can I approach solving Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3?

To solve Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3, it is important to first understand the concept of electric potential and fields in a dielectric medium. Then, you can use the appropriate equations and mathematical techniques to solve the problem step by step.

4. Are there any resources available to help with solving Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3?

Yes, there are many resources available online that provide solutions or helpful tips for solving Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3. Some examples include physics forums, online study groups, and video tutorials.

5. Why is Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3 important?

Jackson Electrodynamics Problem 2.3 is important because it helps to illustrate the application of electrostatics in a real-world scenario. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and deepen understanding of the principles of electromagnetism.