Atwood's Machine Simulation: Determining Height with Given Masses

In summary, the Atwood's machine consists of two masses, m1 and m2, that are initially at rest at the same height. After they are released, m2 falls through a height h and hits the floor, while m1 continues moving upward. To find the height that m1 reaches after m2 has landed, one must determine the velocity of m2, which is also the initial velocity of m1. Then, using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, one can find the height m1 reaches before being pulled back by the string. The final answer is 0.15 meters.
cajunchrisbu
help! atwood machine

The two masses in the Atwood's machine shown in the figure below are initially at rest at the same height. After they are released, the large mass, m2, falls through a height h and hits the floor, and the small mass, m1, rises through a height h.

In this Atwood's machine, the mass m2 remains at rest once it hits the floor, but the mass m1 continues moving upward. How much higher does m1 go after m2 has landed? Give your answer for the case h = 5.8 m, m1 = 3.7 kg, and m2 = 3.9 kg.

http://phga.pearsoncmg.com/phga2/modules/unproctoredTest.Print

(the answer is not 5.8 or 0 meters)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The picture is not showing. One may wish to save it as a jpg and host it at imageshack.

Basically the masses accelerate and when m2 stops, m1 is still traveling with some velocity (speed). One has to determine that speed, which then starts decreasing under the force of gravity on m1 only.

These notes might help.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atwd.html

got it thanks

oops...my mistake (probably from lack of sleep or carelessness)

basicly i forgot to find the velocity of the large mass and that velocity is also for the small mass. so the small mass has kinetic energy until it is over come by gravity at which point (the instant its velocity is 0) it has a potential energy of (v=mgh). after which if freefalls until the string pulls it tight and it stops so basicly.....

Ke=-u
(1/2)m(v^2)=(-)mgh
solve for h as the height of the short freefall and the answer is

tada-------------->0.15m

geez i feel like an idiot...haha but i got it :rofl::bugeye:

I am working on the same problem, but I am still confused. How did you find the velocity?

1. How does an Atwood's Machine work?

An Atwood's Machine is a simple device used to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and acceleration due to gravity. It consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that runs over a pulley. The heavier mass will accelerate downwards while the lighter mass will accelerate upwards, causing the system to move.

2. What is the purpose of simulating an Atwood's Machine?

The purpose of simulating an Atwood's Machine is to understand the relationship between the masses and the height of the system, as well as the acceleration due to gravity. This allows for practical applications in physics and engineering.

3. How do you determine the height of an Atwood's Machine with given masses?

The height can be determined using the equation h = (m1-m2)g/(m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation can be derived from the principles of conservation of energy and Newton's second law.

4. Can the Atwood's Machine simulation be used to determine the mass of an object?

No, the Atwood's Machine simulation is not designed to determine the mass of an object. It is used to study the relationship between masses and height in a controlled system.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the Atwood's Machine simulation?

The accuracy of the simulation can be affected by factors such as friction in the pulley, air resistance, and the precision of the measurements. These factors should be minimized as much as possible to obtain accurate results.