Formula for Free Resonating Frequency of Cantilever to the Deflection

In summary, the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection is calculated using the formula f = (1/2π) * √(EI/m*L^3). This frequency is affected by factors such as Young's modulus, moment of inertia, mass, and length of the cantilever, as well as other external factors. It is directly related to the properties of the cantilever and is important in various applications such as structural design and material analysis.
nyxynyx
Is there a formula relating the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to its deflection? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The resonant frequency is a function of material and geometric properties of the beam and is independent of the deflection.

For a cantilever beam of uniform cross-section,

[tex]f=\frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt {\frac{8EI}{\rho Al^4}} [/tex]

I: moment of inertia (depends on cross section)
E: Young's modulus
[itex]\rho[/itex]: density
A: cross-section area
[itex]l[/itex]: length

Yes, there is a formula that relates the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to its deflection. It is known as the Rayleigh frequency formula and is given by:

f = (1/2π) * √(E*I/mL^3)

Where:
f = free resonating frequency (Hz)
E = Young's modulus (N/m^2)
I = moment of inertia (m^4)
m = mass of the cantilever (kg)
L = length of the cantilever (m)

This formula shows that the free resonating frequency is inversely proportional to the cube of the cantilever's length and directly proportional to the square root of its stiffness (EI) and mass (m). Therefore, a longer and stiffer cantilever with a smaller mass will have a higher resonating frequency and a smaller deflection.

I hope this helps!

What is the formula for free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection?

The formula for free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection is:
f = (1/2π) * √(EI/m*L^3)
Where f is the frequency, E is the Young's modulus, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and L is the length of the cantilever.

How is the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection calculated?

The free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection is calculated using the formula:
f = (1/2π) * √(EI/m*L^3)
Where f is the frequency, E is the Young's modulus, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and L is the length of the cantilever.

What factors affect the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection?

The free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection is affected by several factors including the Young's modulus, moment of inertia, mass, and length of the cantilever. Other factors such as material properties, boundary conditions, and external forces can also impact the resonating frequency.

How does the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection relate to its properties?

The free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection is directly related to its properties such as Young's modulus, moment of inertia, mass, and length. As these properties change, the resonating frequency will also change. For example, a cantilever with a higher Young's modulus will have a higher resonating frequency.

Why is the free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection important?

The free resonating frequency of a cantilever to the deflection is important because it determines the natural frequency at which the cantilever will vibrate. This can be useful in various applications such as designing structures, detecting material properties, and analyzing the behavior of vibrating systems.