The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,786
wolram said:
Or jelly fish, i was stung by one but not in australia.
Yes, the box jellyfish a.k.a. sea wasp.

The last one is a snake. Part of its name is 'king'. Part of its name is a color other than black. It also goes by another name rhyming with... nothing much.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,787
honestrosewater said:

The last one is a snake. Part of its name is 'king'. Part of its name is a color other than black. It also goes by another name rhyming with... nothing much.
That was a guess so i don't deserve a win, anyone have a clue? if not i
will have to research one.

• #1,788
wolram said:
That was a guess so i don't deserve a win, anyone have a clue? if not i
will have to research one.
Hold on speedracer. You still need the name of the snake. :tongue2:

• #1,789
Where is everyone? never a brain about when you need one :redface:

• #1,790
Are you not googling anymore? Okay, you can guess it. The name is two words: king [color other than black]. If you watched US football and were from Cleveland you could guess the color...

• #1,791
Ive been through the rainbow and the only one that fits is kingbrown but I am not sure if it is venemous.

• #1,792
honestrosewater said:

King Brown, Pseudechis australis, also known as a Mulga, actually one of the Black snake family.

At first I was going for Scarlet Kingsnake, until I found the poisonous clue. It's close though, it does have black on it and it "pretends" to be poisonous.

• #1,793
honestrosewater said:
Are you not googling anymore? Okay, you can guess it. The name is two words: king [color other than black]. If you watched US football and were from Cleveland you could guess the color...
Cleveland brown socks?

• #1,794
wolram said:
Cleveland brown socks?
:rofl: Cleveland Browns. The sock teams are in baseball.

• #1,795
DocToxyn said:
King Brown, Pseudechis australis, also known as a Mulga, actually one of the Black snake family.

At first I was going for Scarlet Kingsnake, until I found the poisonous clue. It's close though, it does have black on it and it "pretends" to be poisonous.
Oh, this is correct, BTW.

I wonder how many other poser snakes there are. There are snakes that pose as rattlers. That's all I can think of.

Well, I guess wolram was right first and got the other clues... you want it wolram?

Last edited:
  • #1,796
The major find was in the gap between the putty layers. A cement vault was discovered. The vault itself was 7 feet high with 7 inch thick walls. Inside the vault the drill first struck wood, then a void several inches high and an unknown substance. Next a layer of soft metal was reached, then almost 3 feet of metal pieces, and then more soft metal.

• #1,797
honestrosewater said:
:rofl: Cleveland Browns. The sock teams are in baseball.
Well I am not very sporty :redface: but what blooper :biggrin:

• #1,798
wolram said:
The major find was in the gap between the putty layers. A cement vault was discovered. The vault itself was 7 feet high with 7 inch thick walls. Inside the vault the drill first struck wood, then a void several inches high and an unknown substance. Next a layer of soft metal was reached, then almost 3 feet of metal pieces, and then more soft metal.
What do you want to know?

• #1,799
wolram said:

This is the money pit on Oak Island. they'd given up digging, and started boring by this point.

• #1,800
Actually, they seem not to have given up at digging through. This was in 1897, after the flooding of the pit.

• #1,801
matthyaouw said:
This is the money pit on Oak Island. they'd given up digging, and started boring by this point.
I give up everyone knows about everything these days :smile:

• #1,802
wolram said:
I give up everyone knows about everything these days :smile:

Someone posted it in S&D the other day...

• #1,803
brewnog said:

I just looked it up, soon the internet will know everything, who needs
MI5 or the FBI, when we have google :biggrin:

• #1,804
wolram said:
I just looked it up, soon the internet will know everything, who needs
MI5 or the FBI, when we have google :biggrin:

Yeah, and google usually just brings you straight back here.

• #1,805
brewnog said:

That would be me, hence the speedy response :biggrin:
I'll post one in a moment. Gotta sort out some clues first

• #1,806
With arms almost the size of the Eifel tower, this floating device plugged the final hole in the country's defences

• #1,807
storm surge barrier at the tip of the Netherlands.

• #1,808
Curses. I thought I had a tricky one there.
Your go.

• #1,809
matthyaouw said:
Curses. I thought I had a tricky one there.
Your go.
Gordon bennit you mean i was right

• #1,810
Aye. Its the barrier that protects Rotterdam. I don't suppose you were watching the documentary about it on wenesday night were you?

• #1,811
matthyaouw said:
Aye. Its the barrier that protects Rotterdam. I don't suppose you were watching the documentary about it on wenesday night were you?
I saw a discovery program about it some time ago

• #1,812
Combine another word for ditch and er with another word for meadow
to find this colossus

• #1,813
wolram said:
to find this colossus
What is 'er'? Is that 'err' or 'ER', as in emergency room?

• #1,814
wolram said:
to find this colossus
Would you mean the Trencherfield Mill Steam Engine?

• #1,815
zoobyshoe said:

Well, I for one am willing to assume that's not just a coincidence. :biggrin:

• #1,816
Ivan Seeking said:
Well, I for one am willing to assume that's not just a coincidence. :biggrin:
On another site, in a galaxy far, far away, we were playing a guessing game, and the clue was "Damn Dog! That's me!" So I guessed Cerberus, the three headed dog who guards the entrance to the under world. Turns out he meant it to refer to himself, in his real life capacity as a writer of crossword puzzles. "Damn" was supposed to translate as "cross word" (angry utterance), and "dog" as "fellow" or "chap" as in "You lucky dog!" Everyone knew the guy was British, and that he wrote crossword puzzles for a living, but I thought it was the most impenetrable clue I'd ever heard. "Cerberus" was such a better answer.

• #1,817
zoobyshoe said:
That is uncanny but correct. next time i will just think the clue, then we
will know what's going on. :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • #1,818
wolram said:
That is uncanny but correct. next time i will just think the clue, then we
will know what's going on. :biggrin:
Actually, it was an extremely well constructed clue. The trickiest part was figuring out what the "er" meant. Ditch and meadow have only one satisfying synonym each, and these turned out to be what you wanted. Just googling "trencherfield" got me right to the mill, and the only thing there that qualified as a "colossus" was the big steam engine.

Anyone who wants may put up the next clue.

• #1,819
This chelating agent, of which there are three major types and three major grades, killed over twenty people in the worst disaster of its kind. Buildings were knocked off their foundations, there was chaos, terror, victims to be dug out and trapped survivors, rescue workers among the victims, and anguished families rushing to relief centers to find their relatives.

• #1,820
Oxalic acid?