Moment of inertia of spherical shell problem

In summary, the moment of inertia of a uniform thin spherical shell can be found by integrating the moment of inertia equation. This can be done using spherical or cylindrical coordinates, with the choice of axis being arbitrary. The integral should be set up over the volume of the sphere and the density of the sphere should be taken into account. It is recommended to use spherical coordinates for this calculation.
karnten07

Homework Statement

Show that the moment of inertia of a uniform thin spherical shell of mass m and radius a about a diameter is 2/3 ma^2

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia = Sum m x R^2
volume of sphere = 4/3 pi r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i have to integrate the moment of inertia euation for this spherical shell, but I am not sure I am understanding my notes here.
The inertia is equal along all axes, so by adding the inertia along each axis gives me the total inertia?

i have some rough sketchy notes i took in a class, so i will write them here to see if anyone can decipher it.

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2 where a is the radius of the sphere

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thankyou

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The challenge is setting up the integral... I recommend using spherical or cylindrical coordinates... You need to choose an axis through the center... anyone is fine... z-axis.

[tex]I = \int\int\int \sigma*r^2dV[/tex]

[tex]\sigma[/tex] is the density of the sphere.

[tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

so

[tex]I = \int\int\int \sigma*(x^2+y^2)dV[/tex]

try to set up this integral over the volume of the sphere using spherical or cylindrical coordinates... you can use cartesian too but it's a little more tedious...

I know lp is trying to pedagogical, but I strongly advise against any coordinates but spherical. You don't integrate cubes in spherical coordinates, and likewise you don't integrate spheres in cartesian coordinates. (Another Hint: you will need to rederive, or look-up, the cartesian to spherical formulas.)

1. What is the moment of inertia of a spherical shell?

The moment of inertia of a spherical shell is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the shell and the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a spherical shell?

The moment of inertia of a spherical shell can be calculated using the formula I = 2/3 * m * R^2, where m is the mass of the shell and R is the radius of the shell.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. They are two different physical properties and cannot be directly compared.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a spherical shell change with respect to its mass and radius?

The moment of inertia of a spherical shell is directly proportional to both its mass and the square of its radius. This means that increasing either the mass or the radius will result in a larger moment of inertia.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a spherical shell be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a spherical shell cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the object's resistance to motion, and a negative value does not make sense in this context.