Resistance Temperature Detectors Question

In summary, for a strain gauge with a gauge factor of 2.14 and a nominal resistance of 120 Ohms, the resistance change resulting from a strain of 144 um/m can be calculated using a relevant equation.
pcdoctor

Homework Statement

An RTD has a (wierd looking a) (20'c) = 0.004'C-1.
If R = 106 Ohms at 20'c find the resistance at 25'c

Homework Equations

R=Ro(1 + (wierd looking a)(T-To))

Answer should come to 108.12 Ohms

The Attempt at a Solution

20 / 106 = 0.1886 * 25 X

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think [itex]R_0[/itex] and [itex]T_0[/itex] equal?

I managed to do it in the end

Hi,

I had another go at it and i got the correct answer :smile:

Sometimes you have to look at things twice.

I cannot do this one:

A strain gauge has GF = 2.14 and a nominal resistance of 120 Ohms. Calculate the resistance change resulting from a strain of 144 um/m.
Any help would be great.

pcdoctor said:
Hi,

I had another go at it and i got the correct answer :smile:

Sometimes you have to look at things twice.

Great!

I cannot do this one:

A strain gauge has GF = 2.14 and a nominal resistance of 120 Ohms. Calculate the resistance change resulting from a strain of 144 um/m.
Any help would be great.

What is the relevant equation? Once you have this, I think it's just a matter of plugging in the numbers.

1. What is a Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD)?

A Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD) is a type of temperature sensor that works by measuring the change in electrical resistance of a material as the temperature changes. The most common material used for RTDs is platinum, but they can also be made of nickel, copper, or other metals.

2. How does an RTD work?

An RTD works by measuring the electrical resistance of a material as the temperature changes. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the material also increases. This change in resistance is then converted into a temperature reading.

3. What are the advantages of using an RTD?

Some advantages of using an RTD include high accuracy, good stability over time, and a wide temperature range. RTDs also have a linear response to temperature changes, making them easy to calibrate and use in various applications.

4. What are some common applications of RTDs?

RTDs are commonly used in industrial and scientific settings for temperature measurement and control. They are also used in household appliances, such as ovens and refrigerators, and in automotive and aerospace industries for engine and environmental monitoring.

5. How do I choose the right RTD for my application?

When choosing an RTD, it is important to consider factors such as temperature range, accuracy requirements, and environmental conditions. Platinum RTDs are the most accurate and have a wide temperature range, but they can be more expensive. Nickel and copper RTDs are less expensive but have a smaller temperature range and may not be as accurate. It is best to consult with an expert to determine the best RTD for your specific application.