Solving Two-Block Friction Problem - Force Calculation

In summary, the problem involves two blocks with a coefficient of friction, an applied force on one block, and a known net acceleration. The force exerted by one block on the other can be found by subtracting the force of friction from the applied force, and the resulting force is equal to the net force on the other block. This is due to Newton's Third Law of Motion. The force exerted by the 80kg block on the 210kg block is 409N, and the force exerted by the 210kg block on the 80kg block is -409N.
TexasCow

Homework Statement

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4953/physicsyo5.png
That's the best that I can do. As you can see, the two blocks are touching and both share the same coefficient of friction. There's an applied force on the first, lighter block. I've done all of my homework but just can't figure out:
-Force exerted by the 80kg block on the 210kg block
-Force exerted by the 210kg block on the 80kg block
-I have already determined the net acceleration, which I believe is 1.410m/s^2

Homework Equations

F=ma
Ff=(Fn)(mu)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma
Fnet=(m)(anet)
Fnet=(210kg)(1.410)=296.1N

F=Fa-Fnet
F=750-296.1=453.9N I believe this is the answer for the "Force of the 80kg block on the 210kg block".

However, I don't know how to calculate the other. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay well F - Ff = m*a.

F = 750 N
Ff = 341
750 - 341 = 290 * a
a = 1.41 m/s

Then the force of each blocking pushing on each other is equal because of Newton's 3rd law. So the Force on the first block minus the force of friction is equal to the force of one block on another.

F - Ff = 409 N

Or you could do Fnet = m * a and plug in 290 kg times 1.41 in which you will get 409 N.

Therefore,

A) 409 N
B) -409 N

Last edited:
Thanks!

Quick question though. Since the masses are different and thus having different friciton forces, wouldn't the forces exerted by one block on the other be different?

Nope. If you push against the wall with a force of 50 Newtons, the wall pushes back on you with a force of 50 Newtons. This is how a scale works.

1. What is a two-block friction problem?

A two-block friction problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on two blocks that are in contact with each other. The blocks may be on a flat surface or on an incline, and the goal is to determine the frictional force between the two blocks.

2. How do you solve a two-block friction problem?

To solve a two-block friction problem, you will need to first draw a free-body diagram for each block, identifying all the forces acting on them. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of friction to set up and solve equations to find the unknown forces.

3. What is the role of friction in a two-block friction problem?

Friction is the force that resists the motion between two surfaces in contact. In a two-block friction problem, friction plays a crucial role in determining the forces acting on the blocks and whether they will move or stay in equilibrium.

4. Are there any assumptions made when solving a two-block friction problem?

Yes, there are a few assumptions that are typically made when solving a two-block friction problem. These include assuming that the surfaces are rough enough to provide sufficient friction, neglecting air resistance, and assuming that the blocks do not rotate.

5. Can a two-block friction problem have more than two blocks?

Yes, a two-block friction problem can have more than two blocks. The principles and equations used to solve for the forces would still be the same, but the complexity and number of equations would increase with the addition of each block.